LXQt apps do not respect chosen theme

Hello,

It seems none of the LXQt apps respect the theme chosen by the user, at least by me. I have and need [1] a dark background, which is respected by various apps I installed, but not by LXQt ones (including the file manager, pcmanfm-qt). Is there a way to have the theme respected?

Also, can we get other themes (there is only 1 dark theme by me).

Thank you!

[1] Really, my eyes hurt quickly otherwise; I could not read PDFs more than a few minutes before pdf readers allowed inverting colors (they should only invert luminosityā€¦). The reason, if you want it, is that my eyes are more sensitive to light than many, and a screen, unlike a paper, is a source of light (it hurts you as well, just less or more slowly). By the way, does someone know how to do that: in Firefox, I set a non-white background (ochre) just to be able to read more than 3 min. However, some web designers (wrongly) use background images as links, buttons, or for feedback: they are then invisible for me, and I need to disable my color choice to deal with them.

You havenā€™t said what release of Lubuntu you are talking about. Iā€™ll assume 19.10 for now, but please specify.

If you go into LXQt Appearance Settings, can you please note and provide the following :-

Widget Styles: (I suspect itā€™s here youā€™re issue is)
Qt Style: ?
GTK 2 Theme: ?
GTK 3 Theme: ?
Icon Themes: (If an issue)
LXQt Theme: ? (I suspect you mean Widget style using LXQt terminology, but this too if itā€™s your issue please)

(see https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3.2/3.2.2/appearance.html?highlight=appearance)

If you have changed colors (colours) using the Theme Configuration, and itā€™s these that arenā€™t being honored, please note it.

And please list which applications you are talking about. (This is most important!)

I suspect youā€™re being confused by the toolkits (GTK+ or Qt) which use different themes, so changing a GTK+3 theme may not have any impact on Qt apps, let alone GTK+2 app, and why there are multiple theme settings.

The applications are necessary, as for example Firefox (https://packages.ubuntu.com/eoan/firefox) uses the GTK+3 theme which is different to programs like pcmanfm-qt which obeys the Qt setting.

Note: Iā€™m not a developer, so my understanding of this is very limited. Also Iā€™m somewhat aesthetically challenged, and happily use older GTK+2, modern GTK+3 apps along with native Qt apps with different themes & donā€™t even notice. LXQt uses Qt5

I included the packages.ubuntu.com link for firefox as I used it to check which toolkit/theme firefox actually uses; it shows libgtk-3-0 as a dependency, ie. it must be installed for firefox to install & operate, this is what told me the program uses GTK+3 (or GTK 3) theming.

Yes, I did not give enough details, sorry.
Lubuntu 19.10

In LXQt appearance settings:

• I changed the theme to ā€œDarkā€.
  • Qt style is Breeze, GTK 2/3 is adwaita-dark
  • Icon theme, donā€™t know (seems to be a bug, since none is highlighted before I click). Clicked on Oxygen, now itā€™s highlighted when I come back.

I have not stepped on any Theme Configuration.

I have more expensively tried various apps:

• Most LXQt apps seem to ignore a dark theme, including most setting apps, pcmanfm, discoverā€¦ I just found a few that do respect it, including alternative and screensaver (both config apps).
  • Most non-LXQt apps I have tried respect it, including FF, TB, geany (prog editor, built on gtk+ IIRC), pinta (drawing). But ā€œnoble notesā€ and Featherpad donā€™t!

As far as I know, GUI apps built on whatever GUi framework (qt, gtk, even tk now) do or at least can respect the ā€œsystemā€ theme (as in ā€œuse system colors/fontsā€). The system theme is in fact the one defined by the window/desktop system, further configurated by user parameters; as opposed to a custom style of the framework (as used to be for tk). Hope Iā€™m clear.

Thank you for your help!

Iā€™ll aim to return & read more tomorrow, I didnā€™t consider in my prior post, different ways we can get apps now.

Snaps, flatpaks & app-images can have their themes enclosed within the package & may ignore global themes.

I replied earlier today to another user (Panel doesnt stay on top of all applications - #2 by guiverc) where I looked up bug-reports on app-images ignoring user (global) settings for icons, but it was closed as the icon set is whatever packager encloses. Iā€™ve seen snap users complain of that too (though classic confinement I believe can get around that issue).

This is only a thought.

I also donā€™t have ā€˜Darkā€™, nor see it at https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/446/page/1/ord/latest/ (or the other pages they there), however is it https://lxqt.org/screenshots/dark/ ?

You are only modifying GTK themes, QT themes are a bit of confusing. Easiest way to get a QT dark theme is to install kvantum (sudo apt install qt5-style-kvantum) and chose a dark theme there. Let us now how it work.
I forgot, after chosing the theme in kvantum, you will need to change the ā€œQt-styleā€ for the kvantum one.

1 Like

You are only modifying GTK themes, QT themes are a bit of confusing. Easiest way to get a QT dark theme is to install kvantum (sudo apt install qt5-style-kvantum) and chose a dark theme there. Let us now how it work.

Thank you! I did it and it works fine. Now, it seems (I have not tried each and all) al LXQt apps respect my theme.

Kvantum is simply great. Itā€™s interface is not obvious because definitely not mainstream, but it ā€˜ā€˜just makes senseā€™ā€™: there are 4 main sections, which unfold when clicked on, mirroring 4 usage stages: install themes, change them, configure, configure per app(s). the only faulty points:

• Terrible, probably most mechanical, translations (had to switch to english to understand a bit ;-)).
  • Not a word about where/how to get other themes, while the feature is implemented (one can define a custom theme folder), probably related to below:
  • Help unavailable (nothing happens when clicking the button), even in english.

EDIT: Help seems to have the form of a ā€œwhatā€™s thisā€ pointer that should act when placed on an interface element that has help. But it only shows a tooltip that we already have by default anyway.

For the record, I found a great dark theme among the ones that come with Kvantum: KvDarkRed (modified).

I forgot, after choosing the theme in kvantum, you will need to change the ā€œQt-styleā€ for the kvantum one.

So, I had to find haw to activate the chosen Kvantum them as well: LXQt setting => appearance => widget style ā€œkvantumā€ or ā€œkvantum-darkā€ (no difference by me). PS: see also last paragraph below.

=================================

I would argue that there is far too much confusion about styling/theming. However, most linux distribs are equally confusing. In particular, here in Lubuntu, it is totally counter-intuitive that setting a theme in LXQt setting => appearance => ā€œLXQT themeā€ does ā€˜ā€™ā€˜ā€™ā€˜notā€™ā€˜ā€™ā€˜ā€™ set a theme for Qt apps, firstly the ones of LXQt itself, isnā€™t it? (Orally, I would say: what the f*ck!!!)

Most if not all also are based on an underlying software windowing framework which has its own styling/theming configuration that come with its own styling/theming config, that the desktop environment transfers as is to users. Instead of integrating it into meaningful, coherent wholeā€¦ After all, there is only visual theme/style ultimately :wink: . With Lubuntu we thus have the whole --BlackBox-- OpenBox config, that mostly covers the same points as the LXQt one. By the way, I also set ā€œKvDarkRedā€ as theme in the OpenBox config, donā€™t know if I had to do itā€¦ Precisely the confusion I am talking about.

PS: The interface for posting on this forum is pretty annoying with its tiny edit and preview windows. I am also a little surprise the spellchecker underlines ā€œenglishā€ :wink: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.