Lubunu 19.10 does not boot

Hello,

I have recently tried to install Lubuntu 19.10 and I have encountered a problem.
I will try to explain.

Lubuntu 18.04 boots fine.
19.10 boots fine when installed on a different partition and on the same disk with Ubuntu 19.10.
Finally, 19.10 does not boot when installed as the only distro on the disk. I have tried a few times.

I forgot what error message I received and (being stupid as I am sometimes) I also forgot to take a picture of it but from what I remember it’s something about the disk missing. I mean I can’t even see it (the disk) when I try to boot using the boot manager UNLESS I have the Lubuntu 19.10 USB disk inserted.

For the record, I have an old HP ProBook 4530s with a Samsung SSD.

Ubuntu 19.10 boots fine btw.

I’m not sure what else I can say. If it’s not enough information then I apologize but I would like to know at least if I’m the only person experiencing this problem.

Thank you.

Bogdan

Please start your installation media, open a terminal and post the output here:

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v

Yes.

That is a problem, that the team of Lubuntu should fix. I expect the command efibootmgr to be always present on the live system.

Yes, you did it correct.

Because of the missing output of efibootmgr I cannot tell you, where the problem is in your setup.

Please post (use copy&paste to avoid errors) also the output of

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

This is necessary information for us to help. Please get this.

You mean it’s not shown as a target to install to?

Also did you check the integrity of the installation media?

Your Ubuntu 19.10 is a live system or did you install it on your computer or on a different computer?

If it is a live system (started on your system with problems), then the output is the same.

I have checked the live systems of Lubuntu 20.04, 19.10 and Xubuntu 19.04 and efibootmgr is missing on all systems. I thought, it is part of the live system.

You have started your system in BIOS mode, so I do not need the output of efibootmgr.

If the output of sudo parted --list is from the computer with the problems, then your setup seems to be correct.

Things to check:

1. Go into the firmware (UEFI/BIOS) and check, that your disc is at first place of the boot order.

2. Check the integrity/hash (SHA256) of the ISO.

No one I know has had such an error, but also we don’t know exactly what the error is so we can’t really say anything about it. Without that information, we’re of little help.

How did you install to it? Did you use manual partitioning?

What I’m asking about is not how functional your flash disk is but whether or not you actually have the right image on the disk. It’s very common for downloading and/or copying to result in small errors. A bit here, a bit there. It might make for a situation where it works in some cases but not others, or produces totally bizarre results. This is why the manual suggests to check the integrity of the ISO (confirms the download is without errors) as well as checking the disc for defects (confirms the copy is without errors). These should always be considered necessary first steps.

Why is this thread tagged multiboot then?

Ok, then let’s install the bootloader manually. Start your USB-stick, open a terminal and execute line by line:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev 
sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
sudo cp /proc/mounts /mnt/etc/mtab
sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
grub-install /dev/sda

and post everything here, so we can control, what you did.

And I’m curious: when you did that, did you install Lubuntu first or last?

And in that case, which booted by default?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.