Lubunu 19.10 does not boot

Hello,

I have recently tried to install Lubuntu 19.10 and I have encountered a problem.
I will try to explain.

Lubuntu 18.04 boots fine.
19.10 boots fine when installed on a different partition and on the same disk with Ubuntu 19.10.
Finally, 19.10 does not boot when installed as the only distro on the disk. I have tried a few times.

I forgot what error message I received and (being stupid as I am sometimes) I also forgot to take a picture of it but from what I remember it’s something about the disk missing. I mean I can’t even see it (the disk) when I try to boot using the boot manager UNLESS I have the Lubuntu 19.10 USB disk inserted.

For the record, I have an old HP ProBook 4530s with a Samsung SSD.

Ubuntu 19.10 boots fine btw.

I’m not sure what else I can say. If it’s not enough information then I apologize but I would like to know at least if I’m the only person experiencing this problem.

Thank you.

Bogdan

Please start your installation media, open a terminal and post the output here:

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v

Apologies, but what do you mean by “start your installation media”? Do you mean just… insert the USB flash drive?

I did that and when I ran sudo parted --list I received the following:

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 850 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  250GB  250GB  primary  ext4         boot

Warning: The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but
Linux says it is 512 bytes.
Ignore/Cancel? i                                                          
Model: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 124GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/512B
Partition Table: mac
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name   Flags
 1      2048B   6143B   4096B                Apple
 2      1668MB  1672MB  4063kB               EFI

sudo efibootmgr -v returns sudo: efibootmgr: command not found.

I’m sorry, I don’t know if I marked up correct.
I’m new at this. : (

Yes.

That is a problem, that the team of Lubuntu should fix. I expect the command efibootmgr to be always present on the live system.

Yes, you did it correct.

Because of the missing output of efibootmgr I cannot tell you, where the problem is in your setup.

Please post (use copy&paste to avoid errors) also the output of

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

Oh, ooops! I forgot to mention that I’m running Ubuntu 19.10 (at the moment) and not Lubuntu. That is, because, of my installation problems, of course.

So the problem with efibootmgr the team at Ubuntu should fix, I guess. : )

Question: if I would install Lubuntu as well (running a dual-boot, since this is the only option available to me at the moment) would the return to the command efibootmgr help you understand the problem?

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS returns just… BIOS. !? : )

This is necessary information for us to help. Please get this.

You mean it’s not shown as a target to install to?

Also did you check the integrity of the installation media?

I might try to install it again but I’ve installed and reinstalled Ubuntu and Lubuntu so many times that I’m a bit tired of it at the moment. Mostly I was just trying to see if anyone else has this problem so we can raise awareness about it.

No, I mean I can install it, it just doesn’t boot after that (with only the SSD inside). If I reinsert the flash disk it does start but I can only boot into the live version. The SSD, it’s like it’s not even there.

All disks are fine. Note that I installed and ran Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.10 and Lubuntu 18.04 on the same SSD from the same USB flash disk. Only after installing Lubuntu 19.10 the system fails to start.

I think there is something wrong, some incompatibility maybe between my system and the new installer. I’m just guessing though. I do have an old and crappy system to be honest. I admit that much. : )

Hey, should I run all those commands from the flash disk version of Lubuntu? Is this what I was actually meant to do from the beginning?

Your Ubuntu 19.10 is a live system or did you install it on your computer or on a different computer?

If it is a live system (started on your system with problems), then the output is the same.

I have checked the live systems of Lubuntu 20.04, 19.10 and Xubuntu 19.04 and efibootmgr is missing on all systems. I thought, it is part of the live system.

You have started your system in BIOS mode, so I do not need the output of efibootmgr.

If the output of sudo parted --list is from the computer with the problems, then your setup seems to be correct.

Things to check:

1. Go into the firmware (UEFI/BIOS) and check, that your disc is at first place of the boot order.

2. Check the integrity/hash (SHA256) of the ISO.

No one I know has had such an error, but also we don’t know exactly what the error is so we can’t really say anything about it. Without that information, we’re of little help.

How did you install to it? Did you use manual partitioning?

What I’m asking about is not how functional your flash disk is but whether or not you actually have the right image on the disk. It’s very common for downloading and/or copying to result in small errors. A bit here, a bit there. It might make for a situation where it works in some cases but not others, or produces totally bizarre results. This is why the manual suggests to check the integrity of the ISO (confirms the download is without errors) as well as checking the disc for defects (confirms the copy is without errors). These should always be considered necessary first steps.

apt-ghetto My Ubuntu 19.10 is a live system, it is installed on my computer, the same computer on which I’m having difficulties booting up Lubuntu 19.10.

Apologies, I misunderstood the term.

I have checked my BIOS and the boot order has the disc in the first place.
I have also just checked the MD5SUM and it corresponds.

wxl Nope! I used the “auto-pilot”. I erased the whole partition and did a fresh install.

I have just checked the integrity of the ISO and it looks good.

Reverting with disk checking results tomorrow.

Why is this thread tagged multiboot then?

Ok, then let’s install the bootloader manually. Start your USB-stick, open a terminal and execute line by line:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev 
sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
sudo cp /proc/mounts /mnt/etc/mtab
sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
grub-install /dev/sda

and post everything here, so we can control, what you did.

Because I tried multi-boot as well and it ran fine.

But maybe you’re right, I will remove that term now.
I apologize for the confusion.

And I’m curious: when you did that, did you install Lubuntu first or last?

I installed Lubuntu last. I had Ubuntu installed first.

And in that case, which booted by default?

Oooh boy! This is getting a bit too advanced for my skills. : )
And at the moment I’m a bit swamped. Let me see when I can get some free time and I’ll update.

Lubuntu was the first line, the first option. But it was shown as Ubuntu btw!
I mean, when I selected the option it booted Lubuntu but the option was shown as “Ubuntu 19.10”.

edit: The actual Ubuntu 19.10 was also on the list, of course, but it was shown lower.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.