Lubuntu without LXQT?

Morning: been a long time user of Lubuntu but can't make the jump to LXQT. Ijust don't like the layout and bloatware.

Isthere any way to install Lubuntu minimal and add the lubuntu-desktop (0.94 version) and carry on that way?

Or

maybe Ubuntu minimal with lubuntu-desktop (0.94 version) ?

Or

Is there a different distro that offers lubuntu-desktop 0.94 as an alternative DE.

Really bummed

Thx

Lubuntu without LXQt is not Lubuntu. The Lubuntu team is doing only the packaging for LXQt and related packages. Also the support is limited to Lubuntu 20.04 and newer.

Of course it is possible to install other desktop environments.

The support situation around LXDE is uncertain. The packages are still in the repositories, but it does not really look like a community is actively caring about updates.

2 Likes

You can always try another lightweight Ubuntu flavor like Xubuntu and try that out. Xubuntu uses Xfce, which is also GTK-based so itā€™ll likely support the apps you might have used on Lubuntu before the switch to LXQt. Another one you might like is Ubuntu Mate.

Otherwise, if youā€™re really attached to LXDE, you can probably figure out how to install Debian (what L/Ubuntu is based on) and put LXDE on there. The gossip online eludes that Debian can be harder to setup fully for those new to Linux so I would do my research first before settling.

The layout for Lubuntu with LXQt shouldnā€™t be that different from that of LXDE but itā€™s been a while for me. The theme and all might look different and the icons will look different but the file manager is still PCManFM. The default apps are different since they had to include what supports Qt. You can always remove apps you donā€™t want or need via any of the included package managers found with Lubuntu.

Stay safe!

1 Like

I gather you mean

lubuntu-desktop | 0.94    | bionic/universe         | amd64, armhf, i386
 lubuntu-desktop | 0.94.1  | bionic-updates/universe | amd64, armhf, i386

Those were Lubuntu 18.04 packages, and apply to bionic or 18.04 only. They are no longer supported by the Lubuntu team.

I have installed LXDE on later Ubuntu/Lubuntu systems and it still works, however those are now Debian packages so may have different configurations to what they were when Lubuntu managed/packaged (Debian uses xfwm4 as itā€™s WM for LXDE, not openbox; openbox is still a Lubuntu package as we use it with LXQt).

Donā€™t forget many of the LXDE devs that created the LXDE desktop are working now on LXQt, eg. the creator (ā€œPCManā€) of pcmanfm that handles the desktop & also acts as a file-manager for LXDE is also the same PCMan who created pcmanfm-qt used by LXQt. PCMan blogged about reasons for the GTK3 port being dropped & why it moved to Qt5 years ago.

1 Like

@Treeant34 Abolishing Windows, and using Ubuntu myself since 10.04, and continued later with Lubuntu 11.10 and so forth, and remained with that, I understand your hesitation to move to LXQT.

For now, I think Lubuntu with LXQT is ā€˜polishedā€™ enough for my daily routine. Iā€™ve made the change, had some hesitations but got used to it, and now I like it.

In 2011 Iā€™ve chosen Lubuntu for its unmet speed on my then already old cheap laptop. Things have changed for me. Speed is less an issue, but it is still important.

Now the current Lubuntu LTS is reaching its end, Iā€™ve been trying several other Debian based distroā€™s (in VirtualBox) to see if I should make a drastic change for my daily desktop.

I really liked Kubuntu with its Plasma desktop. I think it would be the only serious competitor to Lubuntu.

However, still using old hardware, it turned out for me that Kubuntu is slightly sluggisher than the almost ready release candidate of Lubuntu 22.04. To be honest, what I would miss when I had moved to another distro, would be PCManFM-Qt. And speed.

For me, Lubuntu and the rest of LXQT is important. Ofcourse it is, but like electricity, gas, water and fibre, Lubuntu is just ā€˜thereā€™, of good quality, and assured to function well :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been reading the other comments, and you really should reconsider to move (or stay) with LXQT/Lubuntu unless you have serious XFCE needs. Personally, I doubt that.

What do you not like about the layout of current Lubuntu. Not so many changes IMHO.

What do you mean by ā€˜bloatwareā€™? You can always remove packages with ā€˜aptā€™, if that is your point.

4 Likes

Post scriptum:

My quote:

Now the current Lubuntu LTS is reaching its end,ā€¦

I was wrong that my current 20.04 LTS expires soon. Very wrong with that.

Anyway, in anticipation of a presumed needed OS renewal, I moved my home-directory to another temporary disk. After checking that all was well, I reinstalled 20.04 LTS on my original desktop. But, now with adding a dedicated partition for /home.

Not so difficult to do - if you know how. A bit technical background is required though. Unfortunately the standard installation scripts do not facilitate this (a separately mounted home-partition) out-of-the-box.

It would be easy if a user would have his home-directory mounted on a separate partition. Pity. Is there any reason for this?

The system Iā€™m using now is dualboot; having both Ubuntu development (ie. jammy or what will be 22.04 on release) & Ubuntu LTS (focal or 20.04). This system has encrypted $HOME thus my home partitions are encrypted (my system partitions are not), and to use this encryption requires a separate /home partition. Note: I tend to call my Lubuntu systems Ubuntu ones - Iā€™m replying using the jammy now and running my beloved Lubuntu on it.

On many systems I intend to use for myself - I do use a separate /home partition, but on those with many OSes I tend not to as it just complicates things immensely. Our installer copes with this perfectly using ā€œSomething elseā€ (we QA-test for it too!), but with Lubuntu I donā€™t think a separate /home partition gains much and isnā€™t needed.

Systems I keep for support purposes do not have separate /home partitions & I notice no difference. I can re-install on those, eg. when 21.04 reached EOL; I re-installed jammy or what will be 22.04 as a QA-test using a type of install that leaves my files untouched & additional apps (not default for Lubuntu) I use get automatically re-installed. Ubuntu and flavors do this really well and do not require a separate partition to accomplish this.

If I want to re-install a non-Ubuntu system, then a separate /home partition is useful; as many non-Ubuntu installers can only install with a format of /. This to me is why I might consider separate /home (encryption reasons as well etc), ie. should I decide to use something else I have less to restore.

I donā€™t consider calamares (the installer we use) difficult to use, esp. if youā€™re just creating a simple structure such as two partitions ā€œ/ā€ and ā€œ/homeā€. Yes the ESP (EFI system partition) adds a small level of complexity, but I tried to leave a ā€˜walkthruā€™ about that bit years ago on askubuntu.com. I donā€™t see that Lubuntu (or any Ubuntu) requires extra options for separate /home as I explained we can re-install without losing our files, losing our additional Ubuntu repository sourced packages using just single-partition systems.

1 Like

Thank you for your elaborate answer. My first distro was yggdrasil (in 1993), which Iā€™ve used then in a professional setting. With it, and since that, Iā€™ve had some really bad experiences with several distros and tools. Albeit in the long gone past, it explains that I (still) have motivated fears that something might go wrong when tooling touches my partitions or tries do do something clever with my stored data.

Now it seems time that I really should spend some time experimenting more intens with calamares and loose my fear.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.