Lubuntu on old hardware

The Lubuntu team made this announcement in 2018

https://lubuntu.me/taking-a-new-direction/

what states

These statistics brought much internal debate within the Lubuntu team, but we decided that going forward, we need to adapt for the current state of the market. Therefore, our main focus is shifting from providing a distribution for old hardware to a functional yet modular distribution focused on getting out of the way and letting users use their computer.

What is old though?

What one person may consider old, may not be considered old to others. Iā€™ve worked in an environment where I was given a new PC every 6-9 months by my employer; the cost of the hardware was little compared to my salary & productivity gained by faster CPU/RAM compiling code. People in that environment will consider a 3 year old PC old, yet now Iā€™m typing this into a dell desktop from 2009 running the latest Lubuntu development release (ie. kinetic).

The ā€œnew directionā€ blog states

This means that Lubuntu will stay light, and for users with old systems, should still be usable. But we will no longer provide minimum system requirements and we will no longer primarily focus on older hardware.

Iā€™m involved in QA (Quality Assurance) and my most used box is a few years older than this 2009 desktop, but Iā€™ve upgraded CPU a little & increased RAM, as Iā€™d expect most users would have if still using older hardware (where possible).

I often see posts about Lubuntu on old hardware. Lubuntu never gave any definitions on what old is. Old is not our aim, but where possible, we still perform some testing using what maybe considered old hardware; boxes from as old as from 2006 currently; as little RAM as 2GB, though most QA is done on newer boxes than these.

What is this thread for?

Iā€™ve started this thread for any discussions on old hardware, as Iā€™m often seeing them on other threads, on various sites. Old hardware is not our focus. (Besides what I used as examples here (2009 & 2006 desktops) you may not consider old anyway).

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

Haha and I was calling my 2011 laptop ancient ā€¦ not old.

1 Like

To add some color and perspective, for me any computer older than like five to seven years is something Iā€™d consider old. Trying to define old for everyone would be like trying to knit fog.

4 Likes

Since Lubuntu is ā€œā€¦shifting (away) fromā€¦ā€ it shouldnā€™t really matter since older hardware may (or may not) benefit as a side effect.

But if Lubuntu has a genuine intent to place some importance (however small) on ā€˜olderā€™ hardware, then it would be better to at least define a range for point of reference.

The average life span of a device is usually quoted between 3 to 5 years. Do these devices go straight to the dump? No, most of them find a 2nd owner and some of them get installed with leaner distros because the original OS updates wonā€™t run properly on them. This can double the life span i.e 6-10 years.
This is why you still see older devices hanging around. Itā€™s because people find that they can still run them for something useful.

Eventually devices break, people like to buy new hardware and OSs have to move with the trend of demanding software and hardware. There is a limit somewhere where ā€˜oldā€™ hardware cannot meet this demand.
I think itā€™s fair to stop support at the ā€˜doubleā€™ mark. So 6-10 years is for me means getting ā€˜oldā€™.

4 Likes

I find that browsers are what usually determines how long I can use my old outdated junk box builds.

When the browser becomes painful to use thatā€™s it Iā€™m done and onto the next one.Iā€™m using computers from 2007 and still running great.

3 Likes

FWIW I just installed Lubuntu 22.04.2 on this old curb find pieced together from parts from other old curb finds.

The reason Iā€™m posting is I read some of the horror stories some users seem to be experiencing using Lubuntu 22.04.2 on several forums.

This 2007 desktop will not boot from a usb flash drive no matter what bios settings Iā€™ve changed therefore a DVD install is the only choice.

The install went without a hitch.

The install time of 22.04.2 from a dvd was impressive compared with 22.04 / 22.04.1 which although not painful were rather time consuming.

Total time of install and updates around 45 minutes to 55 minutes keep in mind that this is a 16 year old Windows XP desktop.

For the most part this install is OOTB although I did uninstall some of the default software which I will never need or use. (40 GB Hard Drive)

Based on my experience Lubuntu 22.04.2 is still an excellent choice to use on old computers with old hardware.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.19.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
    Desktop: LXQt 0.17.1 Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard
    product: HP Compaq dc7800p Small Form Factor v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 0AA8h serial: <superuser required>
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 786F1 v01.04 date: 07/18/2007
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Core Merom rev: B cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1995 min/max: 1998/2333 cores: 1: 1995 2: 1995
    bogomips: 9309
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: intel
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1024x768~75Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35 v: 1.4 Mesa 21.3.7 Amber
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.0-41-generic running: yes                                          
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes                                               
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes                                                  
Network:                                                                                           
  Device-1: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard                                
    driver: e1000e v: kernel port: 1100 bus-ID: 00:19.0                                            
  IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 37.26 GiB used: 8.27 GiB (22.2%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS541040G9SA00 size: 37.26 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 36.38 GiB used: 8.27 GiB (22.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: 41.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 1816 fan-2: 0 fan-3: 1251 fan-4: 1014
Info:
  Processes: 166 Uptime: 23m Memory: 5.72 GiB used: 1.19 GiB (20.8%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.3.0 Packages: 1662 Shell: Bash
  v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.13
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ 

3 Likes

That machine has firmware bugs and thus the ISO needed to be in written specific ways to boot from thumb-drive.

I use a dc7700 & dc7900 in my QA-testing of Lubuntu, and Ubuntu carries patches for that firmware (so direct cloning works, but Iā€™ve been warned those patches will be dropped in time), but how your write the ISO to thumb-drive really matters on hardware with firmware issues.

3 Likes

Hmm interesting.

I was unaware of any firmware bugs I figured it was like some of the other old desktops I have that wonā€™t boot from a USB flash drive.

Oh well I gave it to the old guy who lives across the street who just web searches and didnā€™t want to buy a new computer.

2 Likes