Lubuntu mantic minotaur (23.10) issue tracker

Items that need to be watched/fixed

Other noted issues that maybe of concern (ideally fix, but maybe just noted in release notes)

• some of LXQt 1.3 is already on our dailies, but more is currently only found i proposed so will get there soon (help test please)
  • Ubuntu fonts change; already noted by users of jammy and backports; some users don’t like the change, thus inclusion of fonts-ubuntu-classic AND/OR documenting the Ubuntu font change maybe required.

Useful links

2 Likes

I’ll spend a little extra time (assuming I have it) rooting around over the next week or so.

2 Likes

Picom has crashed too many times

This issue has been fixed on NEW installs, but on re-installs or ‘install using existing partition’ I’m still experiencing this error on first login after re-install. I wonder if something survives in $HOME given it’s untouched in this install case…

Further we may also have issues with release-upgrades from 23.04?? and test for it. (Changelog)

Listed here as I’m unsure if worthy of noting on primary list, but also don’t want to forget it. Any comments on this thread are welcome, the first post contains the list that matters, and readers can use HOME to quickly view that list

1 Like

@leok noticed the ‘Install Lubuntu’ desktop icon no longer starts.

Erich Eickmeyer gave an [knowledable] opinion that it related to new polkitd dropping support for pkla (polkit local authority) & needing seed change. Rik Mills confirmed also an issue with Kubuntu…

@wxl confirmed adding polkitd-pkla to a running live system allows the desktop installer to run; confirmation of Erich’s view & the required fix… so we’ll have this sorted pretty soon I bet.

Upstream report by Walter can be found here - Ubuntu Flavor Sync Meeting Notes - May 8, 2023 - #3 by wxl - Flavors - Ubuntu Community Hub

Thanks everyone.

Beyond the workaround I mentioned; there is still a menu item to install Lubuntu on the current daily ISOs if required

2 Likes

FWIW you can also just hit enter at the password prompt (the password is blank) to proceed with the installation from the desktop.

Also just to put it somewhere, the man page for polkit covers rules. There are already some Ubuntu-specific rules in /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d. Debian also has a wiki on the subject.

There is a bug report in Debian that is somewhat relevant here. It reveals a solution that can be dropped into /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/com.github.calamares.calamares.rules:

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
        polkit.log(action.id);
        if ((action.id = "com.github.calamares.calamares.pkexec.run") && 
                subject.local && 
                subject.active && 
                subject.isInGroup ("sudo")) {
                return.polkit.Result.YES;
        }
});

Which is to say, it allows a local, active, user in group sudo to run pkexec on Calamares without further prompts. This may be our solution and we may want to go ahead and just do it.

3 Likes

I added polkitd-pkla to the seed while we wait for clear instructions on a proper fix. I’m not comfortable blindly messing with security.

That said, tomorrow’s ISO should be good to go.

3 Likes

Jeremy Bicha (Ubuntu dev) discovered if a firefox window is opened during the release-upgrade process, the text can be unreadable due to font changes occurring.

The workaround is simply to restart firefox

1 Like

I am not experiencing #1922342 here. I went through a legacy boot cycle a couple of times to check that.

I’m not sure if there’s a difference. I can boot the device UEFI and ‘legacy’ via the system settings. But, is ‘legacy’ really BIOS mode? That’s the fairly new MSI laptop that I purchased just for testing. I can’t be confident of the pre-boot computation, but in legacy mode the 20231010 daily .iso boots in about the same time it always does.

1 Like

Great…

I rarely boot ISOs on a motion computing device I have because it means 9+ minutes of seeing nothing but black screen during the boot (boring!)

The issue is a firmware bug that exists in a small variety of devices that makes installing a new OS take an extra 10 minutes, so hardly a big deal, but sure is noticeable if using the device to test booting ISOs. The ISO can be reformatted to make it boot 8+ minutes faster, alas the ISO then can’t be used to boot on other machines, so I’d not recommend it.

I also hit it on another box that also has the firmware bug (this one a lenovo) but it’s a non-compliance issue within the firmware where the OEM/maker didn’t care as the OS the device was sold with was pre-installed.

We’ve documented the issue here

and that’s sufficient in my view. It impacts less than 1 in 5000 boxes (specific firmware code get triggered). Maybe the 22.04 in that link needs to be made less jammy specific.

3 Likes