Lubuntu installation failure

Hello,

I’m trying to install Lubuntu on Toshiba Satellite L350 with 3go ram and Intel Pentium dual-core.
I performed the installation with USB-boot. I used Rufus.
When installing Lubuntu, after choosing localization, keyboard, partitions, users I have this error message :

L’installation a échoué
Erreur Boost.Python pour le job “mount”.

class ‘OSError’
|Errno 5] Input/outpur error: ‘chcon’
Traceback :

File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/mount/main.py”, line 166, in run mount_partition (root_mount_point, partitions, partitions)

File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/mount/main.py”, line 55, in mount_partition subprocess.call ([‘chcon’,‘–reference=’+ raw_mount_point,

File “usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 340, in call
with Popen (*popenards, **kwargs) as p:

File “/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 854, in_init_ self.execute_child (args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,

File “/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py”, line 1702, in_execute_child raise child_exception_type(errno_num,err_msg, err_filename)

Thank you for your help !

Romain

You may have noticed when you went to post there was a message that said to read the instructions first. One of the things you’re instructed to do there is give a version number. Since that’s missing, we can only help so much.

That said, I have seen plenty of people have problems with Rufus before. I would suggest trying Etcher instead. And absolutely make sure that the self check that runs at the beginning of the installation is successful.

If that fails to prove helpful, let us know your version number, your partition scheme, and your Calamares log (see $HOME/.cache/Calamares/session.log and use the “Hide Details” option under the gear icon so that it doesn’t take up too much screenspace).

3 Likes

@wxl: 100% with you.

But in this case I don’t suspect Rufus. A problem there would not allow the OP to get that far in the installation.
I have two suspicions:
1: incomplete partitioning (eg, lack of formating)
2: an image from lubuntu.net (isn’t there a way to get rid of this #¤%&£@)?

Actually, I have seen cases where similar symptoms have been seen and not avoiding Rufus solves it.

Quite possible indeed, thus my question about partition scheme.

Probably not this as I don’t think they’re doing a good job of posting recent versions. :wink: And yes, there is. We’re working on it…

1 Like

Best news I’ve seen for a long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, don’t get too excited. We’ve been working on it. These things take time…

Excuse me for the instructions !
I install Lubuntu 20.04 LTS. Download on www.lubuntu.fr. I try download on lubuntu.me and I checked the integrity (SHA256sums) but it’s the same problem.
I try with usb_creator_common on Ubuntu.
I don’t know “partition scheme and calamares log” :/. What should I do ?

Some information during the memory test :

Configuration : Intel(R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00 Ghz
CLK : 1995 MHz (x64 Mode)
L1 Cache : 32 K  28102 MB/s
L2 Cache : 1024K 13040 MB/s
L3 Cache : None
Memory : 2940 M     2532 MB/s

Ram : 332 MHz (DDR2-665) - BCLK : 166
Timings : CAS 5-5-5-5 @ 128-bit Mode

Memory SPD Informations 

-Slot 0 : 2048 MB DDR2-666 - Micron 16HTF25664HY-667E1
-Slot 1 : 1024 MB DDR2-666 - Samsung M4 70T2953CZ3-CE6

It’s okay !!
I redid everything from the start and the installation went well.

The first time I had to remove the usb key before starting the installation. I of course put it back before starting the installation. But maybe that’s the problem …?

This is not our website. Don’t use it.

An aside, since you seem to prefer French: we do have a French support forum at en français.

Download errors are common, which is why the hash checking exists. Any time you download an ISO (from anyone, including Microsoft), you need to check the hashes to ensure there are no errors. One single bit flipped could lead to all sorts of weird issues.

You might want to mark this as the solution to the problem.

That’s… weird. When you boot off the ISO, it should load the whole system into RAM, so while removing the USB shouldn’t be problematic, it should be wholly unnecessary.

Agree. Leave the live USB-stick in. At the end of the installation you’ll be told by the installer to remove it before reboot.

But jeez… how many kooky sites are there out there? lubuntu.net, lubuntu.org and now lubuntu.fr?
[slaps forehead]

1 Like

Too many, unfortunately. :confused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.