Lubuntu Impish Indri (21.10) Beta Testing Week

The Lubuntu team will be releasing the beta for what will become Lubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri), on 23 September, 2021, with the final release scheduled for 14 October, 2021.

Ubuntu, and flavors such as Lubuntu, are having a testing session (hashtag #UbuntuTestingWeek) during the week of 23-29 September 2021, to encourage as many people as possible to help test our new beta, and help make it the best release yet of Lubuntu.

Of course you can grab a daily and test any day you like, and don’t have to limit yourself to just this week if you’re short on time.

How you test is up to you, you can download the daily (or beta), write to thumb-drive and boot and perform a live test on real hardware, or boot/install it in a VM. All testing is welcome.

Getting the download

You can download the Impish Indri daily build here.

Recording the results

To record your testing, you’ll need a Launchpad/Ubuntu One login. Go here to create one if you haven’t already got one.

To look at all teams testsuites for impish, though our install testcases can be found here, and the primary ISO and QA testing tracker can be found here.

Our current behavior when we run a QA-test install is to use the “Install using Calamares (entire disk)” testcase, where in the Comments section we use the first line to briefly list hardware used, the second line has an entry describing the testcase tested, like

Lenovo YG SL 7 14ITL05 i5-1135G7,16GB,Intel Iris Xe,WiFi, 512GB M2NVMe SSD
Testcase:UEFI+secure boot,no encryption,full disk with swap file,no Internet

which highlights it was a Secure uEFI install, no encryption, full disk with swap enabled, and no internet connected; all of which matches an testcase found on our checklist, this test performed by Lubuntu member Leó Kolbeinsson.

Another example is from Lubuntu team member David/KGIII

MSI Modern 15 (Intel Core i5-10210U, Intel UHD, 32 GB RAM) .

How you describe your hardware is up to you, I get details from sudo lshw roughly in format

“Make model (cpu, ram, gpu)”

so my lenovo thinkpad x201 will show as

lenovo thinkpad x201 (i5-m520, 4gb, i915)

If you need help making sense of the testing checklist, then this wiki page may be helpful.

Reporting bugs

Follow the directions in the testsuite. If it does all of those things, great! If it doesn’t, we do need your help. Please file a bug on your testing box, and record the bug ID in the Bug (or Critical Bug) section in the iso.qa.ubuntu.com page when complete.

Follow the directions in the bug report, and be as specific as you can. This is a key step - an unreported bug will be an unfixed bug. For details on reporting bugs please refer to our wiki page and don’t forget to include the bug report number in the iso.qa.ubuntu.com test report.

Questions?

If you have any questions, appropriate places to ask are of course, our discourse site or for faster responses please ask on IRC (#lubuntu-devel) or via our telegram channel

Testers can also chat live on IRC (#ubuntu-quality) or telegram (Ubuntu Testers).

Please note tests that complete okay with only minor issues should still be PASSED, but the bug ID reported in the “Bugs” section. If you consider it a show-stopper bug, record it in the “Critical bugs” section (failing the test if you believe absolutely necessary).

What’s New?

Many changes, but the most noteworthy is LXQt is now 0.17 so use those release notes for newer features to test.

Thanks!

Thanks in advance to those of you who can help, and please reply on discourse with any issues, concerns, or questions!

ISO and QA testing tracker - http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/424/builds

ISO testcases can take as little as 30 minutes to complete (including filing a report on the iso.qa tracker), and whilst we have only a single testcase for installs on the iso.qa site, we have an expanded checklist you can see at https://phab.lubuntu.me/w/release-team/testing-checklist/

4 Likes

Brief summary post also made at https://www.reddit.com/r/Lubuntu/comments/pti0ki/lubuntu_impish_indri_2110_beta_testing_week/

2 Likes

I ran my own Lubuntu Impish beta test: created a persistent live drive with mkusb-dus and tested that it works in three computers,

It works as expected. I did not test application programs, only the main functionality.

I tested also that a system-info script that is being developed at the Ubuntu Forums works in this context (and it does work, but there are some minor hiccups because it expects some directory/file to exist like in installed systems).

4 Likes

Ubuntu 21.10 Testing Week Announcement can be found here

Ubuntu and its flavours will be participating in another ‘Ubuntu Testing Week’ from September 23rd to September 29th. On September 23rd, we’ll be releasing the Ubuntu 21.04 Beta after halting all new changes and between then and the final release 3 weeks later, all efforts are focused on ISO testing, bug reporting, and fixing bugs.

Please join the community by downloading the daily ISO image and trying it out. There are a variety of test cases on the ISO tracker, which take less than 30 minutes to complete, so give them a try.
If you are having difficulties, watch our Community Team member emeritus @popey do it in the videos below and join the tester community live in our IRC channel ( #ubuntu-quality on libera ), telegram group ( Ubuntu Testers ) or in the #testing-week channel on the Ubuntu Hideout Discord server.

Ubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri) Final Beta released announcement on fridge can be found here

4 Likes

concerning bug reports running lubuntu from usb-stick:
$ ubuntu-bug lubuntu-meta

The problem cannot be reported:
This report is about a package that is not installed.

What I wanted to report immediatly:
An important desktop icon is titled “Install Lubuntu \r 21.04”.
I think this should be “… 21.10”, not?

Greetings!

6 Likes

The version issue you found has been reported. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/calamares-settings-ubuntu/+bug/1944778
If you want you can click on the “affects me too” to give the bug some heat. I have submitted a bug fix for it but it needs to be accepted into the archive by the release team since we are in the beta freeze.

As you may notice the package in question is actually the Calamares settings package since that has the settings for the installer. It can be confusing to find the right package sometimes so I offer our wiki page as a guide.

4 Likes

Thank you for your testing & your reporting @guenter

It’s appreciated, and helps make our upcoming Lubuntu release better (even if issues have already been discovered & reported; the more eyes we have, the more chance we have of detecting issues).

3 Likes

thanks for replying!
The version-bug is fixed as of my actual 27.9.21-dailay-build.

I followed the bug reporting instructions. They still today say: " NOTE: When in doubt about what package to file the bug against, please use lubuntu-meta."
But “lubuntu-meta” package is not available in live session. Maybe a hint of which “lubuntu-*” package of the 7 available should be used instead as “catch-all-package”.

Thanks again and happy coding!

1 Like

If you want to know more about QA-testing Lubuntu, I’ll suggest you also read

https://linux-tips.us/what-its-like-to-beta-test-linux-specifically-lubuntu/

2 Likes