Lubuntu Hirsute Hippo (21.04) Testing Week

The Lubuntu team will be releasing the beta for what will become Lubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo), on April 1, 2021, with the final release scheduled for April 22, 2021.

Ubuntu, and flavors such as Lubuntu, are having a testing session (hashtag #UbuntuTestingWeek) during the first week of April, to encourage as many people as possible to help test our new beta, and help make it the best release yet of Lubuntu.

Of course you can grab a daily and test any day you like, and don’t have to limit yourself to just this week if you’re short on time.

How you test is up to you, you can download the daily (or beta), write to thumb-drive and boot and perform a live test on real hardware, or boot/install it in a VM. All testing is welcome.

Getting the download

You can download the Hirsute Hippo daily build here.

Recording the results

To record your testing, you’ll need a Launchpad/Ubuntu One login. Go here to create one if you haven’t already got one.

To look at all teams testsuites for hirsute, though our install testcases can be found here, and the primary ISO and QA testing tracker can be found here.

Our current behavior when we run a QA-test install is to use the “Install using Calamares (entire disk)” testcase, where in the Comments section we use the first line to briefly list hardware used, the second line has an entry like

Lenovo L450 i5-5200U,8GB,Intel HD5500,WiFi/Ethernet,Bluetooth,500GB hd
Testcase:UEFI + secure boot,no encryption,full disk with swap file,Internet

which highlights it was a Secure uEFI install, no encryption, full disk with swap enabled, and internet connected; all of which matches an testcase found on our checklist.

How you describe your hardware is up to you, I get details from sudo lshw roughly in format “Make model (cpu, ram, gpu)” so my x201 will show as

lenovo thinkpad x201 (i5-m520, 4gb, i915)

but in my testcase example I’ve copied the first two lines from a real QA-test install performed by Lubuntu member Leó Kolbeinsson.

Reporting bugs

Follow the directions in the testsuite. If it does all of those things, great! If it doesn’t, we do need your help. Please file a bug on your testing box, and record the bug ID in the Bug (or Critical Bug) section in the [iso.qa.ubuntu.com](http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/413/builds page when complete.

Follow the directions in the bug report, and be as specific as you can. This is a key step - an unreported bug will be an unfixed bug. For details on reporting bugs please refer to our wiki page and don’t forget to include the bug report number in the iso.qa.ubuntu.com test report.

Questions?

If you have any questions, appropriate places to ask are of course, our discourse site or for faster responses please ask on IRC (#lubuntu-devel) or via our telegram channel

Testers can also chat live on IRC (#ubuntu-quality) or telegram (Ubuntu Testers).

Please note tests that complete okay with only minor issues should still be PASSED, but the bug ID reported in the “Bugs” section. If you consider it a show-stopper bug, record it in the “Critical bugs” section (failing the test if you believe absolutely necessary).

What’s New?

Many changes, but the most noteworthy is LXQt is now 0.16 so use those release notes for newer features to test.

Thanks!

Thanks in advance to those of you who can help, and please reply on discourse with any issues, concerns, or questions!

ISO and QA testing tracker - http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/419/builds

ISO testcases can take as little as 30 minutes to complete (including filing a report on the iso.qa tracker), and whilst we have only a single testcase for installs on the iso.qa site, we have an expanded checklist you can see at https://phab.lubuntu.me/w/release-team/testing-checklist/

4 Likes

Other notices:

Alan Pope’s post on the Ubuntu Community Hub and blog

Xubuntu’s Official Blog statement

Ubuntu Budgie’s discourse

Ubuntu Mate’s discourse

3 Likes