Lubuntu does not recognize the disk in dell inspiron

I am trying to install lubuntu in a laptop dell inspiron 3501 which has windows 10 installed. I don’t want dual boot, just lubuntu. But the installer is not recognizing the disk, tested the usb installer in my desktop, a dell volstro, and it did recognize the disk there. I tried to disable secure boot in the laptop, with no success.

Basic starting point to me, is what Lubuntu release you’re asking about, and be specific, as if it’s Lubuntu 22.04 LTS, we’ve had different versions of calamares on different ISOs (ie. we’ve updated calamares for some subsequent ISOs)

The kernel stack may also influence this; as newer kernels will deal better with newer kernels (5.15, 5.19 & 6.2 kernels have been released on 22.04 ISOs, and the current daily has 6.5 though that’s not been released yet). What release/ISO did you use?

If your system has encryption on it; calamares will offer you fewer options, but the Erase Disk and Install option should still be offered, unless the disk is mounted by user behavior prior to starting the installer; did you explore the disk first? If you do, ensure you umount or dismount any partition(s), before starting the installer.

1 Like

I was trying to install 22.04.3 LTS, but I gave up and went for ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS, which was officially supported for the laptop. It worked, but before I could install ubuntu made me disable Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Could this be the source of the problem for Lubuntu?

I don’t know the answer to that sorry; yes it could be.

If Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS worked; assuming you were using a Desktop release you’ll be using the GA kernel stack of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, meaning Lubuntu 22.04 LTS & Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS media also used & installed with that 5.15 kernel.

You can confirm your kernel with uname -r (you’ll note only the first two numbers are what I’m referring to, the remaining numbers just relate to patch level)

The kernel name is in fact 5.15.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.