Lubuntu can not mount external USB drive

Hello All! I’ve installed Lubuntu and it cannot mount external USB drive. A message appeared that drive ca not be mounted. fdisk -l sees the drive as sdb. Manual mount also does not take effect.
Please help. Thanks!

Some specifics may help. We don’t know what Lubuntu release you’re using, what command or method you used to mount & exact message you received for that mount.

You mention sdb, which is a device. If this is a disk or ssd USB drive, there are almost always partitions which are what you mount (during the early 80s, it was common for many Unix systems to not use partitions, but DOS & later windows made partitions the norm for the modern era). What file-system exists on the drive? as that can also influence how its mounted.

Or are you asking about a USB flash drive? where the file-system also applies (and partition tables can exist there too). Flash media is made to price (price being the key selling point), and every time you write data to a flash-drive, part of that drive can be destroyed, and thus needs to be replaced; so if you can mount other USB flash media, but not one USB thumb-drive, that device maybe faulty & needs to be thrown out (I throw out many each year myself).

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I have installed Mantic Minotaur. The message I get is “Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/evgeny/Seagate Backup Plus Drive: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error”
The partition as far as I understand is dos. The drive worked with Windows and other Linux distributives. Other usb flash sticks are working well.
When I try to mount the drive manually I get message “mount: /dev/sdb: can’t find in /etc/fstab.”

You can analyze the problem according to this link and if you are lucky, find a solution.

If the problem is ‘only’ that you cannot mount it, please try according to this link.

2 Likes

Thank you for the links! I have changed to Jammy Jellyfish and there is no such problem.
Disk is working well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.