Lubuntu Appreciation Thread

I know that there is already a discussion for this technically and perhaps this is redundant—in which case I will accept if the admins wish to close this.

However, I felt the need to post something here where people who perhaps cannot contribute yet but still would like to show their appreciation for Lubuntu and the community/team behind it. TL;DR is at bottom.

I have felt an immense sense of gratitude for Lubuntu where just recently I have actually been able to boot up my old laptop on which I had put 20.04 on a while back. It was literally the most satisfying feeling I had felt in a long while with tech. I was able to get my WiFi driver installed without issue. I had Firefox ready to go without issue. When I needed to download and send documents, I could open up all the .docx and .pdf files without issue. When I needed to install Veracrypt, I downloaded the .deb and the GUI let me do it without issue. When I had archives that I needed to extract, Lubuntu let me do it all via the GUI without issue.

Basically, I was never short of anything. Even when I wanted to add a logon noise via Autostart, I was able to use VLC to convert my MP3 to OGG. No effort!

Every time I thought I would be short of something, I already had it!

I think it goes without saying that maintaining a project like this takes a huge effort when you consider the work taken to make Lubuntu the way it is today—not to mention the administrative effort for the resources some of us use often like the manual, wiki, etc.

Everyone who has contributed to this project in one way or another—whether its code or management of community resources, or manual documentation, or even simply providing some support/discourse to people via the forum or mailing lists—it shows that people from varying backgrounds, identities, and cultures can come together to help one another for a bigger cause.

I know some might be hesitant to give praise to Lubuntu when their particular experience with it might not have been ideal. Perhaps you might not have received the support you wanted, etc.

Am I saying Lubuntu is perfect? - No.

Do I think Lubuntu will please everyone? - Also, no.

I think Lubuntu has its own vision and direction—and because my particular experience with it has been rather positive, I happen to like what it offers—and while there will always be weird politics involved with things inside of a particular community like open source, I support the vision they have.

That being said, I think there is always room for improvement. Naturally, as a part of anything that exists in life, there is always a road full of failure paved for the treasure of success. As humans we have evolved through time from banging sticks on rocks to skyscrapers among smog-ridden data centers. Just as we as an individual can improve and mature over time, so too does this apply to anything that extends from our egos and passions. We owe it to ourselves to strive to be better not only for the realization of what we want to become but for the legacies we wish to depart.

TL;DR:
All of that being said, I thought it would be nice to have something for those of us who really like Lubuntu but perhaps cannot exactly show that appreciation in the form of donation, support, etc. Believe it or not, sometimes communicating something as simple as a “thank you” can actually make someone’s day. I know a few cases myself where I’ve had life happen to me one day, putting me at my lowest and sometimes you get a sincere moment of human empathy that let’s you see that every cloud has a silver lining.

In the spirit of communicating appreciation for this project and the awesome community behind it—and although I might have had a few too many drinks this evening—I just want to give a huge THANK YOU!

13 Likes

As someone that has contributed to the project this warms my heart to read. It is messages like this one that keep us motivated to work on Lubuntu and open source software in general. We understand that nothing is perfect but we continue to try and make things better. Working together I think we can do that. I look at where we were when I started and I think we have made incremental improvements with each release.

Whether you realize it or not, you too are a contributor to this project. Participation and help in these forums is a significant part of the success, we can’t do it without people like you.

You didn’t just make my day, you might have made my year and maybe beyond.

Thank YOU

5 Likes

Thanks to the Lubuntu team. I was formally a Linux mint user for 9 years but their distro has become too bloated to run on my 10 year old hard-ware (which still works fine!) Why should I upgrade my computer just to keep up with their windows-like bloat?

Lubuntu+LXQT has fit the bill perfectly for me, and overall works better and faster than the Mint Version I used before (17.2).

Thanks again for this great alternative. Now all you need to do is dump GTK altogether… (impossible at this point I know)

4 Likes

I can’t read this without adding my big thanks to the developer team(s)

I jumped from Windows to Mint, and although I was amazed by the general idea/ecosystem of GNU/Linux, in Mint didn’t really like what I found (still too fancy). So after some research I reached Lubuntu shore and I loved it from the first day.

In my (3rd-world) country this is especially useful because not all students (nor teachers) have the latest CPUs or GPUs, so it is great having the possibility to use, etc. the latest LibreOffice with a rather old computers.

Anyway, I could go on for hours and paragraphs, but I wanted to say that I also really, really appreciate your efforts and will look into how I could help from my humble position (ie not being an software engineer or anything close!).

THANKS Lubuntu team!!!

6 Likes

For myself, I have been using unix since 87, linux since 1999, and have never got my head around it. In fact, I loathe linux, while I have wanted to like it.

I had some success in 2009 with Ubuntu 9, which was a drink of cool water, compared to any experience before. Mind you, everything is 10x buggier and harder than windows, but the community was excellent and 9 was light. Ubuntu ruined future versions with unnecessary bloat, so I abandoned linux after trying unusable light versions.

I recently tried 11 distros to run on a thumb drive live, using rufus. Only Lubuntu was usable. The firefox would freeze every two minutes and should have the cache and history disabled to prevent it. Ubuntu was too freezey and slow.

Personally, I couldn’t see any difference between ubuntu and lubuntu, except speed. Lubuntu is nice to look at out of the box, and a really good balance between functionality and size.

Smaller distros just didnt pickup hardware and left hours of work for me to get to lubuntu state.

3 Likes