Lubuntu 22.04.3 and USB Wifi Adapter

Hello Lubuntu Community,

I have installed 22.04.3 LTS on an old notebook, and the installation went smooth. The notebook has no built-in Wifi, so I tried using an USB adapter, but I cannot configure the Wifi connection. I tried with two USB adapter: Netgear and TP-Link. After searching for a solution I checked the hardware with the following commands:

Netgear WNA3100M:

$ lsusb
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 0846:9021 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100M(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Realtek RTL8192CU]
$ ip link
5: wlx2cb05d5bf4c9: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 
    link/ether 2c:b0:5d:5b:f4:c9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

TP-Link TL-WN725N:

$ lsusb
Bus 007 Device 005: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
$ ip link
6: wlx503eaa8d5c24: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 50:3e:aa:8d:5c:24 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Do I have to install something or activate the Wifi adapter in any way? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greets, Leonardo

I have little/no experience with realtek chipsets (what you have, ie. Realtek RTL8192CU and RTL8188EUS) so Iā€™ll provide a link that maybe useful.

Lubuntu 22.04 LTS is a Ubuntu 22.04 system, with only different packages included by default, due to the different seed we maintain.

As Iā€™ve not used your hardware, Iā€™ve not explored the PPA this howto relies on, but links to the source code (so you can build it yourself) are also there.

Hello @guiverc,

thanks for your answer and for the link, Iā€™ll give it a try. So although the USB adapter is being showed in ā€œip linkā€ as a network adapter the driver is missing? I ask because Iā€™m accustomed to the behavior of Windows, where a device without a driver is only shown in the device manager as unkown device.

Greets, Leonardo

Sorry, I didnā€™t read your post clear enough did I.

Iā€™m not sure I got past the lsusb which only displays a string response from a query as to what is connected; and is thus of very limited value. I missed the ip link completely sorry.

Your issue is the state being DOWN.

You could try sudo ip link set wlx2cb05d5bf4c9 up and see if we get a response.

You may need to set an IP address etc up first though. (sudo ip address add 192.168.1.5/24 dev wlx2cb05d5bf4c9, sudo ip route .. etc too)

Of course none of this may help, but itā€™s the stuff Iā€™d try first (anyway).

If youā€™re still stuck, you can hope for clues via looking for clues in the systemd journal.

sudo journalctl -b 0 -u NetworkManager

Alas I donā€™t know what youā€™ll find there if you needed to look there, but Iā€™d hope you find something that may lead to a next step.

Again, sorry for missing your [rather obvious] ip link.

The solution was too easy and somewhat embarrassing for me. :grimacing:

After looking up the systemd journal as you proposed I saw some reference to ā€˜rfkillā€™ I tried the command to check the status of the Wifi devices. Thatā€™s when I realized that there is a built in Wifi card in this old notebook and that there is a Wifi switch to turn it on/off. And the switch was set to the OFF positionā€¦ :roll_eyes:
After turning the switch ON the Wifi connection was not grayed out any more and I could connect to my home Wifi without problems.

So I couldnā€™t solve the problem with the USB Wifi adapter, but it turns out I donā€™t need it anyway. :smile:

Thanks for your help!

Greets, Leonardo

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.