Lubuntu 20.10 is EOL - 22 July 2021

Lubuntu 20.10 was released 22 October, 2020 with nine (9) months of supported life.

Lubuntu 20.10 reaches reached end-of-life on 22 July 2021, which is only two weeks away now! :frowning:

The first warnings of its nearing the end of that 9 months of life were provided last month so this is yet another reminder, that if youā€™re still using Lubuntu 20.10 - please plan for your release-upgrade in the coming days.

Lubuntu 20.10 will release-upgrade to Lubuntu 21.04 :heart_eyes: , with details found in our manual on the upgrade process.

If you need help, the usual links apply. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can find our official blog post here.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your hard work with Lubuntu and I canā€™t wait to upgrade, but I still have an issue with installation from 20.10 to 21.04. My 1st gen Macbook Air still gives me (after sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y. sudo reboot and sudo do-release-upgrade commands) a note ā€œDue to a bug in shim, LP: #1928434, upgrades are not currenly safe for your hardware. Once that bug is resolved, you will be able to upgrade to the next release of Ubuntu.ā€ And then the process refuses to go forward. I thought that the bug was already resolved. Is this an end of the road for me?

I donā€™t know what the issue is, but Iā€™ll provide my thoughts.

• bug 1928434 has been marked as Fix Released for hirsute so that shouldnā€™t be a blocker for you.

• you mention a number of commands, but Iā€™d read the output from apt update & validate your mirror is up-to-date, if it looks good Iā€™d likely switch to the main archive and repeat apt update; full-upgrade & do-release-upgrade again

• you mention the ā€˜-yā€™ in your commands; that makes me a little nervous as it should only be used when you know what the output will be, I see so many users getting themselves into problems because they used it when they shouldnā€™t; but it shouldnā€™t be a problem here; but I wonder if it caused this problem before-hand.

• Iā€™d check you have no holds on packages (I suspect unlikely as youā€™d not get the error message you report unless the hold caused the fix to not be installed); ie. apt-mark showhold

• Have you filed a bug? If you havenā€™t Iā€™d likely do it and provide the ID here so I can have a look (I may see the bug when filed, but I may also miss it so posting here is worthwhile). The most interesting attachment will likely be VarLogDistupgradeMainlog.txt which youā€™ll be able to find on your system already; but filing a bug (with ubuntu-bug ubuntu-release-upgrader) provides an easy way for you to upload your issue for me & others to look at. Itā€™ll require you to have a launchpad login so see our wiki page for more details if required.

It wonā€™t be the end of the road for you Iā€™m sure; you have a problem we both believe you shouldnā€™t have, we just have to find & deal with it.

3 Likes

Thank you for your well thought answer. I went for a new go yesterday evening.

First, I checked the archive. It was http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. I didā€™t change that. Then, I commanded ā€˜apt updateā€™ and ā€˜full-upgradeā€™, without -y, and answered yes to questions that followed.

And ā€¦it worked. It downloaded all the hirsute packages and processed them. Packages were so plenty, that it was clear, that I hadnā€™t been able to reach those before. After loading and processing, the system rebooted, and after that, ā€˜do-release-upgradeā€™ gave me the information, that there was no new release available (any more). I was finally running hirsute.

So, thus my problem was solved. There was no need for more actions. I have no further explanation why it finally worked, expect 1. just dropping off ā€˜-yā€™ and 2. just trying after three days more. But the trick was done, so thank you, Iā€™m now ready for 21.04 and 16.0.

3 Likes