Lubuntu 20.04.2 64 Focal Nvidia PPA driver 460 DKMS error

Installed current Lubuntu 20.04.2 64 bits ISO.
Trying install Nvidia 460 drivers from https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa display and after using Addition Drivers and selected nvidia-driver-460 not start the download displaying message DKMS not will be installed.

uname -a
Linux A1 5.8.0-41-generic #46~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 18 17:52:23 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thus I had used the command to try install manually Nvidia DKMS
sudo apt-get install nvidia-dkms-460
Not was possible complete the install displaying the message
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.8.0-41-generic is not supported

Trying again install Nvidia driver 460 was downloaded and installed, but when restarting Lubuntu load is breaked with black screen.

Lubuntu 20.04.2 use kernel 5.8. I had avoided to install groovy because 5.8 issues.
How install nvidia driver 460 or nvidia-dkms-460 using kernel 5.8.0.41 generic ?

It is not necessary to add a PPA for the Nvidia drivers. I would purge the PPA and just use the additional drivers tool so that a supported driver and kernel module are used.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
Oh yes in Additional drivers is displayed some versions, but not has version 460. Only display version 440.
I want to use 460 and look how if is an issue with nvidia dkms 460 not being compatible with 20.04.2.
Perhaps any other software or driver that use dkms can fail if using kernel 5.8. VirtualBox ?

20.04.1 use what kernel version ? 5.4 or 5.8 ?

You’ve asked that in another topic; please don’t ask duplicate questions.

The link below is about kernel 5.8 issues

for me I had to avoid use the kernel 5.8 thus not will download groovy 20.10 and my choice will be Focal 20.04.2 because if in download section has 2 downloads (groovy and latest focal) sounds how Focal ISO is using kernel 5.4 ? Not.
Focal 20.04.2 ISO use kernel 5.8 and thus not is possible install any Nvidia proprietary driver even previous versions being only possible use Nouveau without CUDA, Vulkan and NVENC.
Any driver being displayed in “Additional Drivers” not will be installed with message about dependences that not will be installed exactly how the screenshot in begin of that topic.
Thus I had tried to install Nvidia driver from nvidia.com, but not is possible install because need some dependences and the new problem not is possible install GCC compatible with nvidia installer.
Trying “sudo apt-get install gcc” not install gcc and is displayed message that not will be installed.

Now see that not is possible use Nvidia proprietary driver and also gcc.
In moment is better return to Focal 20.04.
If you has an Nvidia video card avoid 20.04.2.
Perhaps groovy not has problems with Nvidia drivers.
Is better wait 2 months for 21.00 than install groovy.

Lubuntu is exactly Ubuntu, but I not understand if Lubuntu team can create and 20.04.2 ISO using the previous kernel version 5.4 thus avoiding issues and also not has any information about kernel version in Lubuntu ISO links.

What does the 460 driver provide that the 440 driver does not?

@kc2bez
Fix for VK and changed cache folder for 1024 MB, fix for VDPAU and etc.
The problem is not is possible install any driver version in 20.04.2.
Even selecting 440 or not using PPA is the same problem.
When begin to install stop the download displaying message about errors “dependences not will be installed” exactly how in the screenshot in begin of topic.
In https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa not has drivers for 20.04.2, but has driver 460 for groovy.

In moment using 20.04 and installed nvidia latest driver.
Few months for 21.0.
Not problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.