Lubuntu 18.04 on my Netbook Intel Atom 32bit

Since i read on this so my Netbook can use Lubuntu 18.04 after 2023? I’m new use linux one month after i migration from Windows. Okey thanks before :grinning:

Lubuntu 18.04 is only supported by Lubuntu until April-2021.

Yes, some packages (ie. the ‘main’ repository) will receive updates until April-2023, but if you use the ubuntu-support-status command, you’ll note that covers only part of your system, with ‘universe’ packages including all our Lubuntu packages ending security updates in April 2021 (some 18.04 packages are already EOL; Ubuntu Studio 18.04 was not a LTS release with extended support being provided via PPA).

There have been many threads of this site about x86/i386/32-bit support, and where people can go come April 2021, eg. 18.04 support april 2021 , Looking for a Linux distribution with support for old hardware as the main focus - #8 by azdays15 along with many others…

2 Likes

Yeahh many of them still look what the best OS for 32 from now. If i can ask you, what you recomend linux OS for me what good and best if 2023 when support is over?

my spec netbook is :
HDD 500GB
RAM 1 GB
Intel Atom 1,6Ghz

thanks before

I still use Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on my IBM Thinkpad t43

I’m also a happy Debian user (Ubuntu didn’t yet exist when I started using Debian), and on my asus eepc (which contains a intel atom n270) I have Debian installed. The eepc has been used to test up to alpha Lubuntu 19.04, last used for testing Lubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, and I find Debian & Lubuntu are roughly equal on it (it was used in testing Debian Buster too).

Please note Intel atom’s are not all equal; the speed doesn’t help (you mention 1.6Ghz, I’ve used two different atoms at the same speed; one was amd64 the other was i386 and the amd64 one was far superior in performance). My comments here primarily relate to the n270 atom as it what I have most experiences with in testing (the least powerful of the two I used for testing).

As for post-April-2021, I haven’t decided what to do with my Thinkpad t43; I may continue using Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on it, as I’m lazy at heart, but also may convert it to Debian Buster, but maybe I’ll have a later device and have replaced it before then too. As for April-2023; that’s too far away to know (my x86 devices may no longer be used/needed before then)

FYI: I also have & use other x86/i386 devices too. An IBM thinkpad t42p will likely outlive the others; it runs software I wrote, doesn’t use the internet & does a role I consider dirty so I’m unwilling to dual-purpose a laptop for its role.

2 Likes

I’ll toss this URL into the mix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

Note that you can sort by the various columns, which may help you narrow things down.

1 Like

I’ll drop a provocative question here:

Why is this important to you?

If you have a well-functioning, running 18.04 OS and have had no issues with it until now, odds are that you’ll never have any in the future…
I’ve run 19.04, 19.10 and today 20.04 (because I like LXQt) and have had zero issues with those versions. I have no plans on going to 20.10, 21.04 etc., there’s simply no reason to. My 20.04 runs perfectly as it is, and I’ll wait for the next LTS (22.04, I guess).

The M$ years have contaminated the PC world with a mindset, where never-ending upgrades are necessary. A disease I’ve named “Upgradeitis”.

This is not the case in the Linux world. Your 18.04 will keep running, don’t worry.

A bigger problem is more likely declining support for 32-bit application programs, this might give you headaches in the future. But I can’t say anything to that.

Cheers.

2 Likes

It’s the declining support that is the reason why everyone’s suggesting hopping ship. We stop support in early 2021, but support of security issues should be expected to be there until 2023. After that, there is no support. It’s not declining, but it falls off the cliff. And if this is a 32 bit computer, there are no other options available in the entire Ubuntu ecosystem, so it’s kind of a big thing.

Also, LXDE development has declined heavily over the years (not to mention several other common applications in the original GTK-based Lubuntu). There’s a bunch of bugs in it that have yet to be fixed. Even if bugs do get fixed, we won’t even be considering backporting those fixes (heck, we won’t even bother packaging them) post-April 2021.

2 Likes

Even I am upgrading to 20.04 in the second week of January.

So, yeah… It’s time to move on. An unsupported OS is a danger to others as it becomes a potential vector for malware or used as a part of a botnet.

4 Likes

You may find it funny to know that as much as I love and prefer LXQt and tell people all the time to run away from 18.04/LXDE as fast as they can, I’ve been entirely lazy and have yet to upgrade from 18.04 on my daily machine. So don’t feel bad. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have two main machines and a laptop that will need upgrading. I’ll probably keep that laptop at 18.04 just so I can still double-check answers for support, though I may just as well build a VM.

I use a calendar with my email client and I’ve actually scheduled the change. It shouldn’t be too painful. At least I’m getting lots of exposure to LXQt with 21.04 testing!

I am going to miss LXDE - though a number of distros will still offer it. I came really close to deciding to switch distros just to keep LXDE, but I like Lubuntu too much to switch everything. Being an official Ubuntu flavor means tons of support and pretty much every Linux app I’d want to use is packaged for it. Plus, it’s full of good people.

3 Likes

That is exactly how I feel. In fact, I would say that the #1 thing that made me stick to Lubuntu (and Ubuntu in general; I have my hands in a few other pots) was the people.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.