Lubuntu 18.04.5 How install using standard vga driver?

Hello.
I need to install Lubuntu 18.04.5 32 bits in an notebook with GeForce 6800 GO.
The video card is with problems that only work curreclty if using standard video driver. Perhaps is problems in VRAM. Not problems in others devices or RAM.
If using windows not installing video drivers is possible use the notebook without graphics glitches.
If Lubuntu 18.04.5 32 bits install is started when the nouveau driver is loaded crash the install with video graphics glitches in screen because the video card has problems perhaps is accesing VRAM damaged area.
I believe that if nouveau is disabled have chance of install Lubuntu in my notebook.
How change settings in install to avoid nouveau driver to be loaded and to use standard vga driver ? How also made the same settings in installed Lubuntu ?
Thanks for reply.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Question re-opened as I didn’t see an answer

Have you tried the Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS system?

The closest box I used in testing (video card anyway) was

hp dx6120mt (pentium 4, 3gb, winfast clone of nvidia 7600gt)

which was fine using the 18.04.5 media.

I did have older IBM thinkpads that didn’t like the 5.4 kernel & HWE software stack provided with 18.04.5 media, but give no issues when 18.04 or 18.04.1 media (using the 4.15 GA kernel) is used (or in fact any prior media up to 18.04.4 was used, until it upgraded to 18.04.5).

Lubuntu 18.04 & 18.04.1 media installs defaults to using the GA or general kernel, all later media starting with 18.04.2 uses the HWE or hardware enablement stack which upgrades during the life of the product, so 18.04.2 → 18.04.5 all end up using the 5.4 kernel & stack those old thinkpads had issues with. The fix for me, was just using the stable GA kernel & stack. If installed using 18.04 or 18.04.1 media, the GA kernel is always used, and thus it never upgraded to 5.4 kernel.

I don’t see 18.04.1 media available anymore, however you can achieve that using the alternate ISO (it’s not a live ISO so you can only install using that media, not try before install) which will install 18.04, then post-install you’ll have many packages to upgrade as it doesn’t include any updates unlike 18.04.5 media.

I looked and found a torrent file for the 18.04.1 i386 ISO, if you decide that’s worth trying, download it, and the checksums I found at https://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Installazione/MD5Sum/Hash as the main Ubuntu archive/release mirror doesn’t included them anymore (they were before MiTM attack fixes provided with 18.04.5)

1 Like

Sorry this may not have good a complete answer.

Lubuntu 18.04 is now end-of-life