Is backports-staging really necessary?

Hello,

Currently there is LXQt release → backports-staging → backports → Lubuntu release

I recently added the backports and was happy to notice the mouse button lagging issue I was having dissapeared. With the cycle above, it would have been a while living with the bug in LXQt v0.17.0 (from a year and a half ago) until the LXQt 1.1 made it through.

Would it make more sense to have one less step so users can get bugfixes quicker but still go through the beta check? After all, when LXQt is released it has also been through checks there as well.

Maybe: LXQt release → backports → Lubuntu release

Thank you

You are aware Lubuntu is a Ubuntu flavor, ie. all package uploads need to comply with Ubuntu procedures, comply with freeze/SRU etc procedures as apply with Ubuntu.

Lubuntu added LXQt 0.17 for impish as it was newest then, with us hopeful to add later in the subsequent jammy cycle but we were unable to as we wrote about due to lack of resources (we asked for others to step up and help us).

The addition of LXQt 1.2 (backports-staging) has already shown us one issue; it won’t impact users staying on jammy (ie. not upgrading to kinetic), so backports-staging makes sense to me (anyway).

The LXQt found in backports does not include this issue, thus is still suitable for all. The staging has prevented some users encountering a problem, before we’d become aware of it with the recent LXQt 1.1 & 1.2 change alone.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch for the explanation of how it works.

I wrongly assumed that since Lubuntu had it’s own discretion with some things (installer, DE, etc) that since it was a Lubuntu PPA it was at it’s own discretion also.

I’ll be sure to use backports-staging to help out with testing.

2 Likes

This answer I recently made maybe of interest, though really it’s the comment I added to the answer that may interest you.

Ubuntu flavors can decide what they put on their ISOs through seed files, but they’ll only grab packages in official Ubuntu repositories, with the build infrastructure being the same as what builds all Ubuntu images (ie. Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server etc…) The largest difference is probably the flavors use ‘universe’, after all we’re part of wider Ubuntu community.

You can go here to look at the jammy seed if interested.

Key though is PPAs are still 3rd party repositories; even when it’s a 3rd party resource we do control (security & auditing management for PPAs is optional, but mandatory on official Ubuntu repositories). When we talked about offering an ISO with the newer LXQt, the intention was a team member created ISO offered at 3rd party site, ie. unofficial and never anything official.

Thank you ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like