Installing Lubuntu on a Dell Venue 10 Pro

When I hold the Volume Up, I get a menu that says the following:

Boot mode is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: OFF

UEFI OPTIONS:
Windows Boot Manager
OTHER OPTIONS:
Diagnostics
Enter Setup

This menu is dependent on the Boot Menu in BIOS, which does not give me the USB as an option. I can choose a file within the USB, but it won’t go to it on its own. Is there a file within the Lubuntu Bootup Stick that I can force the bootup to go to? I tried various files unsuccessfully. :frowning:

Ok, you are talking about the Windows Fast Boot feature. This Windows feature can be turned off in Windows and is totally unrelated to the UEFI settings (there might be also a UEFI setting called “Fast Boot”).
And “Fast Boot” does not prevent the installation. But a good operating system refuses to mount a drive, when it detects, that the “Fast Boot” feature is currently in use to avoid any data loss.

Ok, a “shoot first, ask questions later” approach.

I disabled Windows Fast Boot, then restarted. No change. The exact same thing.

When I hold the Volume Up, I get a menu that says the following:

Boot mode is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: OFF

UEFI OPTIONS:
Windows Boot Manager
OTHER OPTIONS:
Diagnostics
Enter Setup

When I go to Enter Setup, I get the boot Menu which only has the following options:

Network Stack: {Disabled]
File Browser Add Boot Option
File Browser Del Boot Option
Secure Boot: [Disabled]

Boot Option Priorities
Boot option #1 [Windows Boot Manager]

@apt-ghetto, I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to to prove here. That I’m an idiot? Perhaps I am as just a 1+ year user of Lubuntu. You keep going after me instead of trying to help the OP.

At least I did a test on my own Dell Win10 PC and got some results that might be helpful to the OP.

What happens when you go into that one?

When I choose Windows Boot Manager it boots into Windows. :frowning:

So it won’t recognize the USB as a bootable drive on this device. It works perfectly on a Lenovo laptop and a Dell desktop. So odd. The more odd thing is that if I go to File Browser Add Boot Option I can see the content of the bootable USB drive that has the latest version of Lubuntu, so clearly it does detect the drive, but won’t boot or allow to boot from it. So strange! Thank you for your time in trying to help me resolve this. I am truly stomped. :frowning:

Sorry that I couldn’t bring you further. Tablets are notoriously difficult.

1 Like

No worries. I appreciate the time and effort. I have been able to get Windows 10 to be as fast as possible, so I may keep it that way in lieu of the difficulty to root this device and change the operating system. C’est la vie! Happy New Year and thank you again.

This is a weird issue. I know some devices are really picky about how you can boot with what device/port.

I was also under the impression that something like secure boot was preventing booting the USB.

The live image should boot just fine on this device provided the BIOS settings will allow it…

I kinda wish I could see what the settings are currently.

I stumbled upon something that sounds exactly like what you have described performing:

1. With the Venue turned off, hold the volume button down.
  2. Turn on the Venue

3. When the BIOS / UEFI screen appears, let go of the volume button

4. Tap "Boot" > "Secure Boot" > "Disabled"

5. Tap "File Browser Add Boot Option" > select .efi file on a bootable FAT32-formatted device (e.g., tap "USB: blah blah blah" > "Select Media File" menu appears > tap "efi" > "boot" > "grubx64.efi") > "Input File Name" menu appears > enter desired name (e.g., "USBFlash") > tap Return > Ok

6. Change "Boot Option Priorities" if desired, or simply reboot while holding the volume button up for the "Boot Options" menu.

In your case… when it asks you to browse and you can see the USB, can you browse to a folder called EFI? If so, see if you can find the BOOT folder in there and select the grubx64.efi file and see if it boots.

1 Like

Thank you the reply. This is interesting…in the USB stick (the bootable Lubuntu drive), there is a subfolder called EFI. Within that there is a Boot subfolder, and in it are 3 files, as follows:

1. bootx64.efi
  2. grubx64.efi
  3. mmx64.efi

Should I try this in the File Browser Add Booth Option? Which of the 3 files? Thank you.

1 Like

I tried all 3 files. I added each one in the BIOS, made them 1 to boot from, then booted. I also tried with the Volume Up and selected each file at a a time. No luck. Windows dominates and just goes back to the installed Windows desktop. It doesn’t even prompt me for anything Lubuntu related. :frowning:

2 Likes
  1. If you think, that I am not trying to help, then you should carefully reread the whole discussion.
  2. I never wrote, that you are an idiot.
  3. I have quoted some of your posts (not all) and asked some questions. The answers showed, that you don’t have much knowledge in some fields.
  4. It does not matter, how long you use Lubuntu.

If you don’t have a Dell Venue 10 Pro or a very similar device, than your results might not help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.