Install Lubuntu Mantic to the same drive as you booted live from

I’m usually testing the live and persistent live sessions of Lubuntu (because I develop and maintain mkusb). But this time I wanted to make an installation into my old Toshiba with a Intel generation 3 i5 CPU (bought 2013), where I have no internal drive. So I installed Lubuntu into the same SSD connected via a USB adapter as I booted live from, ‘the USB drive’.

• The installer Calamares complained that there is no partition to install into. This is good, it protects from overwriting the installer by mistake.

• Then I booted with the boot options toram and nopersistent and unmounted the mounted partitions on the USB drive. The installer was still complaining that there is no partition to install into.

• Then I

• booted with the boot options toram and nopersistent
    • unmounted the mounted partitions on the USB drive
    • installed gparted and created a fresh GUID partition table, GPT (no partition).
  • Now the installer was happy to install Lubuntu into the USB drive, and the installed system works well.

• Comment: I could have used an already available text mode tool to create a fresh GPT partition table, but gparted is convenient.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.