I'm testing Lubuntu 24.04

Hello. I’m testing new Lubuntu 24 on virtual machine and first fing I noticed is that GUI package manager (Muon) is missing (also from Ubuntu repository). Is it safe to install Synaptic instead? Because KDE Discover not listing all packages. For example try find QDirstat in Discover.

Also I write this line for users with very old Nvidia cards: if you have old graphic card and need Nvidia properiety driver 390 stay with version 22 because only Nvidia drivers 470+ are availible.

2 Likes

I’ve installed Lubuntu 24.04 LTS minimal version and it works well.

I’ve had to Google software I’ve wanted to install as I have found that what I thought the actual name of the soft is is not exactly how it needs to be entered in the terminal.
Example is KDE Partition Manager

sudo apt install partitionmanager 

The above code is what worked.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo apt install partitionmanager 
[sudo] password for lubuntu: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
partitionmanager is already the newest version (23.08.5-0ubuntu4).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ 

I bet the same holds true with the Muon Software Center but I can’t say for sure.

I’ll just use the terminal to install and remove software.

Lubuntu 24.04 LTS minimal version is a good Linux distro.

Yep, it’s gone. It was forcibly removed from our seed (and the archive) because Debian dropped it.

You could install Synaptic if you want to but given its dependencies on GTK libraries, I would avoid it.

Instead, I would recommend using apt or aptitude on the command line.

Note this means it was already installed.

3 Likes

Only after I installed the partition manager.

The example I used was the only example I had and I wasn’t going to uninstall to show an example.

I said that because it’s already included with Lubuntu as you can see from our seed.

Although you did say minimal, so that’s another story…

1 Like

My whole point was the kde partition manager is called that although when wanting to install from within the terminal it can’t find it that way.

The terminal will only see it as “partitionmanager” and not "kde partition manager" which I had to Google to find out what I had to enter.

sudo apt install partitionmanager

You look long enough you can find it on Google.

1 Like

Or just search the archives directly with apt-cache search .

3 Likes