Icons disappeared from the desktop -- how to get them back?

Today I noticed that all icons had disappeared from the desktop. However, directory ~/Desktop seems to contain the relevant files – mostly ending with “.desktop” plus some others. I am not aware of any user-made change that could have caused the disappearance of the icons. Any ideas how to get them back again?

“ls_release -a” returned the following:
“No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy”

My desktop is the LXQt and the taskbar is working normally.

After noticing the problem I clicked “Apply Full Upgrade” and entered the password to get the system up to date, and rebooted. However, no change.

Any helpful hints, please?

This sounds kind of odd. Let’s wait to see if anyone else chimes in with the same problem.

I can’t think of anything that would cause this. If there was, I imagine it would be with PCManFM-Qt.

Have you tried changing the icon set and applying the changes to see if they re-appear ?

Thanks for your replies. Changing the icon theme or other similar settings did not help. However, opening the ~/Desktop folder in a normal window provides a nice work-around.

If you right click the desktop, is “Hide Desktop Items” selected?

The other thing is if you run ps aux | grep /usr/bin/pcmanfm-qt, do you find the process /usr/bin/pcmanfm-qt --desktop --profile=lxqt?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks a lot, @thedoctar ! That “Hide Desktop Items” was probably checked by some haphazard right-click on the desktop.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.