How to add a folder into "Places"

I’d like to add the “Downloads” folder into the list of “Places” in PCManFM-Qt. I’d also like to remove the “Network” item. I can’t find the way to do it in the Manual. If it’s possible, how can it be done?

1 Like

You can right click and hide items from “Places”.

You can navigate to a folder and add it as a bookmark, which adds it to the same left sidebar.

Will that work for you?

5 Likes

Thank you KGIII, I have discovered the Bookmarks. But as a part of my learning process, I’d like to learn to add folders to the Places and I can’t find a way to do it. Unless it’s something truly hardwired that can’t be changed by the user, of course.

I did some digging last night and bookmarks are stored in a file called with file URIs, that look something like:

file://home/kgiii/Downloads/foo

I’d wonder if there’s a similar file somewhere for Panel entries - but I’ve been unable to find it. I looked for it prior to making my post. It doesn’t appear to be a user file, at any rate. So, it’s something owned by the system (is my guess, assuming it’s not hard coded).

I used a clean installation to check and rooted through all of the ~/ with a specific concentration on files in the .config directory. Search as I might, even checking PCManFM-Qt results online, I can’t find it.

It might just be hard coded.

2 Likes

Thank you very much KGIII I started learning Lubuntu about a month ago and I’m very much still exploring. You can close this thread.

2 Likes

You can mark an answer as “Accepted” and the system should close the thread 60 minutes after the last reply (I believe).

2 Likes

I apologize for adding a secondary question to the thread, but how do I mark it “Accepted”? I only see the checkbox for “Solution”.

I think I had my terms confused - the “Solution” box is probably the right one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.