How I update to lubuntu 22.04

Hi, people, I want to update to 22.04 from 20.04 but I do

sudo apt update && upgrade
sudo dist-upgrade

But not it show me that there is a new LTS version

How can I update to lubuntu 22.04

Lubuntu 20.04 LTS systems won’t see an upgrade until after the release of Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS. The release of Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS has not yet occurred.

The status of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS can be see here where you’ll note it’s currently scheduled for 11 August 2022.

If you were expecting it to have occurred on 4 August 2022, it was delayed a week for reasons outlined in the link I provided.

Regardless of if 22.04.1 was released or not, the upgrade for those on the prior LTS release (ie. 20.04 like yourself) does not occur until the Ubuntu Release Team decide it’s fully stable, and they don’t evaluate that until early the next week usually (why I made the word after bold), ie. even if 22.04.1 had been released last Thursday, we’re still a few days before the decision is normally made. What they’ll look at is listed in the Upgrade blockers section of the link I provided; those issues need to be addressed before they’ll ‘open the taps’ allowing existing 20.04 users to be offered the upgrade.

That evaluation won’t be made until after the release of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (with Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS being released at the same time, using the same ubuntu-release-upgrade tool as used by Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server and all other Ubuntu flavors).

My suggestion is to wait until after the release of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, and even then give it a week or two before you worry (the link I provided is where to monitor for details on this) if you want to ensure stability of your Lubuntu system.

Should you decide you don’t want to wait (esp. if you decide you won’t be impacted by the blocker bugs); you can peruse our testing checklist where it lists the commands we QA-test (Quality Assurance test) to ensure the system works correctly. You’ll see the -d flag we use the force upgrade early in QA, and you’ll also notice the dates & machines the testing was performed on thanks to Lubuntu member @leok , but I still suggest waiting until the blocker bugs are removed, and the upgrade path is officially open.


In addition to @guiverc 's message I will also note we have an appendix in our manual that covers the release upgrade process.


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.