How do I add a HIDDEN wifi network in Lubuntu 19.04?

I was able to install 19.04 on my old Chromebook, and can connect to an ethernet port on my wifi router with a usb-to-ethernet router. I know that the wireless is working, because when I click on the network manager widget in the system tray (lower right-hand corner of the screen), it lists the various wireless networks in my neighborhood. But my wifi is “hidden,” I don’t broadcast the SSD.

I haven’t been able to find out how to add a hidden wifi network so far. I’m sure the capability is there somewhere, I just haven’t stumbled on it yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I just go to edit.connections (network-manager on panel - see https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3.1/3.1.5/nm-tray.html?highlight=wifi) and add a connection for it.

I use the command ip link before hand if I’m not sure of the interface name (mine vary between wlp1s0 and wlp5s0 which goes in the “Device” box), enter my SSID (no different if hidden or visible), then select WPA2 for security (I’ll assume it’s what you use too), which opens a “Password” box where I enter the password. I then down to OK and I can connect.

There may be other ways, but it’s how I do it.

1 Like

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.