Help with dual boot

I’ve just installed lubuntu on my old pc with windows vista installed on it. I installed lubuntu on an another partition so all the data in windows vista will be safe. However in the boot menu, I cannot see an option if booting into windows vista. How do I solve this?

You haven’t provided any Lubuntu or windows version details (version of grub being set by your Lubuntu release); but I’d expect the following to fix it.

sudo update-grub

where it’ll list what is found on your system, eg. for mine that is

guiverc@d7050-next:~$   sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for guiverc: 
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/lubuntu-grub-theme.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/lubuntu-grub-theme/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-10-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-10-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-9-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-9-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.0-21-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.0-21-generic
Found memtest86+ 64bit EFI image: /boot/memtest86+x64.efi
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (22.04) on /dev/sda7
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

As unclean file-systems can be ignored, I’d expect it to work if fastboot or hibernate on your windows partition is not enabled (as they leave the file-system in a unclean state, as it’s faster to boot when unclean)

1 Like

I would say the answer is “yes” to the “grub isn’t going to boot Windows, it only boots the linux options,” unless you go through some process. I have a number of multi-boot machines with OSX on the drives, booting the machine will launch the grub menu and some of the OSX partitions will show in the list but clicking on them does nothing.

To boot to OSX I have to use the OSX method and press the option key on cold boot. In the case of PC you have to use the F keys, whichever one that “boots the BIOS” and that should show you your Windows option. If you only want to use Lubuntu rarely then maybe disable grub and use the BIOS to boot Lubuntu, but let Windows be the primary system. If you mostly want Lubuntu then let grub handle the system bootloading . . . .

If a system is installed it is “there” . . . . Sometimes a little extra move has to be done to get one of them to boot up. There are folks who have set up grub to boot other OSs, but largely things change in linux and that stuff could be lost, say if you did a Security Update in Windows . . . . Enjoy the “dual” life.

It’s always cool when the OP asks a question, gets some replies . . . and then that’s the last of them in the thread . . . .

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I don’t see windows boot manager and it after running the command it only found windows recovery environment.

Use a live backup distro (eg. clonezilla) to backup your entire harddisk to an external drive.
Then boot with a windows recovery usb.
If you don’t have one, you can make one from someone else’s machine.
There are some repair tools in there that may repair your boot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.