Help scaling the desktop on Lubuntu

Idk which version of lubuntu it’s present in either,
i’m not familiar with all of it’s nuances

but it’d be nice to know, I personally think lubuntu is the best lxqt distro there is…

I even have another computer… I might install it on to take advantage of it…

Also I’d be interested to know how it differs between x11 and wayland sessions, if anyone can find out.

With kde that explicit function differs between x11 and wayland sessions…

Lubuntu isn’t Wayland-ready yet.

Can you see my screenshots?

The other guy I was talking to yesterday
couldn’t see them apparently?

Because I am demonstrating with screenshots exactly what I am referring too…

I installed xfwm4 and replaced openbox as the wm with it,
and it fixed rendering out of the boundaries of the lxqt default settings.

Which differ from xfce, in that the panel and wallpaper will not upscale automatically. I think those are actually the main differences…

I just don’t ever deal with scaling so I’m not quite sure.

But here’s a couple screenshots of a VM running 24.04 with scaling of 1:

and 1.4:

Seems like it’s doing what you want.

No it’s backwards, it’s scaling the elements but not the resolution,

Thats the same thing I’m talking about with kde on x11,
it has the same setting that makes Ui elements bigger, but that is not the same as scaling the resolution.

In my screenshots I demonstrate upscaling the resolution of the entire desktop with nvidia-settings from 1920x1080->2400x1350 and even 3840x2160

So I can get a 4k resolution, and even far higher displayed on my 1920x1080 monitor… I literally demonstrated exactly what I was talking about, and step by step in vivid details explained exactly what I was talking about…

Look at this picture, this is what I’m talking about

That picture is me scaling the entire lubuntu desktop
with nvidia settings to 4k on a 1920x1080 monitor.

the details are also in the picture, of what is happening

“Scaling” has nothing to do with the resolution of the display. You need to do a two step process:

1. Increase the resolution to your desired setting. That gives you lots of screen space but everything’s too small on it
  2. Scale everything accordingly

Yea it doesn’t work on lubuntu I explained that…

The lxqt desktop is locked to your native resolution, or lower, it doesn’t support upscaling the resolution.

In KDE they have the same problem, on x11, but in a wayland session the kde desktop can have it’s resolution upscaled. And it’s actually awesome…

So I wonder how x11 lxqt and wayland lxqt are different

I also would like to take this moment to point out,

that if you guys want people to actually use lubuntu, and support lubuntu, and ubuntu in general, than you probably shouldn’t be treating people so badly on the forums.

It’s not a very socially inviting atmosphere when you attempt to literally verbally chase people out of the forums, and refuse to recognize what their concerns are.

You probably shouldn’t be responsible for a linux distribution, if you are going to behave like that either…

I haven’t dealt with Wayland very much, but in general, trying to make comparisons to it and X11 don’t work very well.

If you can’t get a particular resolution to show as an option, it’s not the fault of the desktop environment, but X itself. Here’s instructions on how to set a custom resolution, which hold true for Ubuntu itself as it holds for Lubuntu, etc.:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/377937/how-do-i-set-a-custom-resolution

I think you guys have way bigger problems honestly.

I was just asking if anyone knew if we could scale the resolution of the desktop environment. I’m not blaming anyone or criticizing lubuntu for failing to develop this feature.

I was just curious if it worked here, like it does in xfce and wayland/kde.

You really should consider what kind of community you are actually building, if you are going to drive people out of it.

I’m sorry you’re getting the bad feels, but I think everyone here is trying to offer you help. No one is particularly concerned if you like or don’t like Lubuntu, although I didn’t really get the feeling like you were expressing feelings one way or another. It’s certainly true that no one is trying to get you to go away.

What multiple people read from you (myself included) is that you wanted help with this problem until you installed XFCE (or maybe just the window manager; it’s a little hard to parse out from your posts). At that point, it sure seemed like your problem was solved and you didn’t want help anymore.

But that isn’t the case, you say, so it sounds like you want to make it work if you can. Ok, great. However, I cannot guarantee that anyone is going to have the same exact situation you do (I certainly don’t), so the best we can offer is suggestions rather than concrete, tested answers. So that’s why people have made suggestions, for you to try.

Hopefully that helps move us forward.

3 Likes

@Hyperlinxe,

I think I understand what you want, but unfortunately I don’t know how to fix it with Lubuntu. That does not mean that I want to push you away, but that I cannot offer anything to make you satisfied and stay.

I tested with standard Ubuntu Desktop 22.04.4 LTS (with gnome), and I think it can do what you want. I could easily both scale and pan with a higher virtual size of the screen than the native resolution of the monitor, and the panels and wallpaper were modified as I think you want.

2 Likes

I tried this and it works.
You do have to restart your desktop manager though. because it still thinks it’s in the smaller size.
And it’s probably wise to restart your display manager too.

sudodus knows that what the OP wants is for the monitor to emulate a larger screen size that it doesn’t natively support.
So when at fullscreen, you actually see all of the desktop as if you had bought that higher res monitor which you can’t afford.
Of course this means the quality will suffer, but the OP doesn’t seem to mind.
There is a nice explanation here , where the answer calls it a ‘simulation’.
So this is not really an ‘up-scaling’, but more of a down-scaling of an unsupported resolution to a lower res monitor.

(Although the command has ‘panning’, I did not have to pan at all. I got all of the higher res size inside one screen and everything else looked ok in proportion).

3 Likes

@humpty,

Please describe with details how to

• restart the desktop manager
  • restart the display manager

so that the Lubuntu desktop system ‘understands’ that it should adjust the panel and the wallpaper to the virtual size.

Edit: @Hyperlinxe, The following commands seem to have fixed it (at least in Lubuntu Noble Numbat),

1. Panning:

xrandr --output ‘name of output’ --panning 2400x1350 --scale 2
    xrandr --output ‘name of output’ --panning 2400x1350 --scale 1

2. Scaling:

xrandr --output ‘name of output’ --panning 2400x1350 --scale 2
    xrandr --output ‘name of output’ --panning 2400x1350 --scale 1.25

Commands when finding how to make it work:

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr | head
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
   1920x1080     60.01*+  60.01    40.01  
   1680x1050     60.01  
   1400x1050     60.01  
   1600x900      60.01  
   1280x1024     60.01  
   1400x900      60.01  
   1280x960      60.01  
   1440x810      60.01  
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --panning 2400x1350 --scale 2
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --panning 2400x1350 --scale 1  # OK for panning
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --panning 2400x1350 --scale 1.25  # black background for scaling
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --panning 2400x1350 --scale 2
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr --output eDP-1 --panning 2400x1350 --scale 1.25  # OK for scaling
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ xrandr | head
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2400 x 1350, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP-1 connected primary 2400x1350+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm panning 2400x1350+0+0
   1920x1080     60.01*+  60.01    40.01  
   1680x1050     60.01                                                                                                                        
   1400x1050     60.01                                                                                                                        
   1600x900      60.01                                                                                                                        
   1280x1024     60.01                                                                                                                        
   1400x900      60.01                                                                                                                        
   1280x960      60.01                                                                                                                        
   1440x810      60.01                                                                                                                        
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a                                                                                                             
No LSB modules are available.                                                                                                                 
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu Noble Numbat (development branch)
Release:        24.04
Codename:       noble
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$

Apparently, after trying it a few times, panning doesn’t seem neccessary. Also the display-manager need not be restarted.

That leaves the
desktop-manager, e.g pcmanfm-qt
and
the panel, i.e lxqt-panel

e.g
zoom_out.sh

#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output VGA1 --scale 1.2x1.2

killall pcmanfm-qt
killall lxqt-panel
pcmanfm-qt --desktop --profile=lxqt &
lxqt-panel &

To restore
e.g normal.sh

#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output VGA1 --scale 1x1

(The desktop manager and panel seems not to require a restart after restoring).

2 Likes