Getting Update Notifier after full release upgrade to 20.04

I did a full upgrade at the weekend from 19.10 to 20.04 using the instructions in Appendix D of the Lubuntu manual. All is good: lsb_release tells me I’m running 20.04:

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

But since that time I’ve been getting the Update Notifier pop-up from time to time, seemingly wanting to do a full upgrade (it wants to run /usr/bin/lubuntu-upgrader --full-upgrade). Why would it do this? I’m already at 20.04.

Have you rebooted since your upgrade? (you’ll not be running the new system until then)

Maybe you mix do-release-upgrade with apt full-upgrade? The Lubuntu Updater is doing the latter.

1 Like

I’ve rebooted several times since the upgrade (I shut down my PC each night), and during the upgrade too.

This is what I ran to do the upgrade (this is all from the Appendix I mentioned):

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
$ sudo reboot
$ sudo do-release-upgrade

Everything seems to be functioning as it should. As mentioned above, you could be confusing the commands do-release-upgrade and apt full-upgrade.
do-release-upgrade is the command to update to a new version of Lubuntu. This is what you used to upgrade to 20.04.
apt full-upgrade is the command that updates all your applications to the latest release available in your current Lubuntu version. This is what the Update Notifier now wants to do. It’s just a normal maintenance upgrade that should happen regularly. It simply gives you all the bug fixes and security updates that are available for your applications.

2 Likes

I’m aware of what those two commands do - I read the Appendix. Since I’m now clearly at 20.04, I’m surprised there was anything new to install after a single day and why this should be described as a “full upgrade” - according to the command line being offered by this lubuntu-upgrader script.

What is “lubuntu-upgrader” and what is it giving me that I can’t do myself? I’m concerned at what it would actually do - since it seems pretty insistent - given that I have a fully up-to-date 20.04 system (according to Synpatic).

full-upgrade differs from a normal upgrade in that it will also remove any packages that need to be removed in order to complete the upgrade, without further user interaction.

Lubuntu-upgrader is a front for aptdaemon and it is an easy way to do maintenance upgrades on Lubuntu. It doesn’t do anything you couldn’t do yourself (for example, by regularly doing a sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade in a terminal). However, letting Update Notifier take care of it would mean that you would no longer need to remember to do this yourself. It’s just a tool to make your maintenance easier. If you don’t want to use it, you can stop it from starting in LXQt Session SettingsAutostart.

3 Likes

Thanks for this explanation, Thomas.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.