G̶o̶o̶d̶b̶y̶e̶ f̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶, i386

Today the Ubuntu Engineering team announced that they will no longer support i386 either for images or for packages in the repositories starting with the 19.10 release. They are, in fact, working on disabling it as we speak. Since Lubuntu already dropped i386 images, this shouldn’t come as too much of a shock.

However, since LXQt is both our present and our future, many have asked us how to have LXQt on an i386 machine. We have been giving advice at times that the course to do so is to install 18.04 and upgrade, but this is not even conceivable any longer and if you’ve done this, especially with 19.10, it’s really problematic.

Long story short, if you’re on i386, you’re stuck on 18.04. We stop supporting it in 2021, after which the Ubuntu community will support it in a much more limited fashion until 2023.

That said, if you have an i386 machine, I urge you to consider a new one or try to find some other solution like Debian, which has been suggested before.

1 Like

I feel like crying even though I’ve never used a 32-bit machine.

It’s kind of like the end of an era—kind of.

:man_shrugging:t4:

It’ll probably just become the latest thing for vaporwave to latch onto. So a e s t h e t i c. Point being that they seem obsessed with things like Windows 95, i.e. garbage. Let’s move on.

Let’s move on.

Agreed.

Oh, wait, nevermind. :man_facepalming:t4: