Featherpad alternative with auto-save (like Notepad++)

Hi,

Is there a Featherpad alternative (or a configuration of Featherpad that I haven’t uncovered so far) on Linux, that can auto-save text documents (periodically) being edited, s.t. a sudden reboot, power-cycle or VM shutdown (when running Lubuntu in a VM based sandbox) doesn’t lead to loss of document that was being edited, but not yet explicitly saved to disk ?

thanks,
B

Checked SciTE, but while it has last-session-save, it does not do periodic autosave.

You do realize Lubuntu can use any editor that runs on Ubuntu, or most likely GNU/Linux (as long as libraries/software-stack required is present). One reason featherpad is used is it uses libraries already present in your system & likely in memory (as it uses libs used by your LXQt desktop).

You could search for “editor” in Discover, or look in “Editors” in Muon Package Manager for example; if your box as 4gb or more of RAM I don’t think you need to worry about saving memory by sticking to lib already in RAM (though the 4gb is subjective & over-simplified).

vim is also present, and it autosaves (to a ‘swap’ file) though it may not be what you want anyway as it’s not for everyone.

3 Likes

Didn’t you read the manual?

I use normally Emacs and vim (the most powerful text editors, but not easy). But you might be interested in using notepadqq (I don’t use it and I have never tried it).

1 Like

What does the featherpad preference “Save changes to opened files every X minutes” do?
It sounds like what you want.

lubuntu-19.04

1 Like

Had completely missed the configuration. Yes, that option does 95% of what I was looking for. The 5% it misses out (and I can live with) is the fact that until you save the buffer being edited, at least one using a unique filename, it doesn’t start the auto-save. Notepad++ auto-assigns names, which saves the trouble of having to assign a good meaningful name upfront. That makes it a serious code editor, and a scratchpad.

Totally going to get me yelled at by certain Lubuntu team members, but you could install snap from the repositories and then install Notepad++ as a snap, it runs on Linux that way (but it’s ugly). If you really want the Notepad++ features/style, that is; it graphically looks ugly I think but you might be able to make it work for your needs with all the features you are looking to get.

Seems like one of those last two responses should be marked as your solution. Your choice, @bdutta.

Thanks for the reminder, done.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.