Editing SDDM theme on Lubuntu

Is there a GUI tool available in the Ubuntu repo that’ll allow users to edit the login screen?

I found sddm-config-editor, but that one doesn’t exist in the repo and is in alpha.

1 Like

If you check the manual you’ll read in regards SDDM configuration

There is no graphical application to do this currently.

where the manual gives some suggestions in editing it manually.

Sorry. I just started using Lubuntu again in a VM on my new desktop so I just got back in again.

FYI, that link is dead

We have a manual for each release, and given I wrote my last post in this thread in April 2021, the stable manual was then likely for 21.04 given the stable in the URL.

Using the current stable manual (link currently being for our Lubuntu 22.10 manual) link, the link is

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3.1/3.1.8/sddm_configuration.html

ie. the 3.1.9 section is now 3.1.8

If you have issues finding a page due to age (we have a new release every six months in April & October, thus it’s pretty easy to guess if you’ll have issues) just use the SEARCH function in the left panel of the manual; I just did a search for “sddm config” and had the new page URL.

As a reminder as to what manuals we have available in published form, this page can be useful - Manual links currently available 22.04 (lts) & 23.04 (stable)

2 Likes

You’re using Lubuntu 21.04 still? You may want to be aware that Ubuntu 21.04 went end-of-life in January 2022, almost a year ago. It no longer receives software updates or support. You might really consider upgrading to a newer version of Lubuntu. The current latest LTS release of Lubuntu is 22.04, which we intend to support until April 2025, while the latest interim release it 22.10, which we intend to support until July 2023.

If you want to try to upgrade your current system in place, you may find this page helpful (please remember to back up your data before upgrading just in case anything goes wrong!).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

If you don’t want to do that, or if that doesn’t work, you can back up your data, and then try to use a “Replace existing partition” installation using a live ISO of Lubuntu. This should preserve your data and apps even though you’re reinstalling Lubuntu from the ISO. (Again, back up your data first just in case anything goes wrong.)

And if that doesn’t work, then of course you can back up your data and reinstall from scratch, reinstalling your programs and restoring your data when you’re done.

1 Like

I have a Lubuntu VM running on Lunar. I just haven’t checked this post in a long while, and totally forgot it existed until yesterday.