Driver missing in Lubuntu 22.04

I have a dual boot device(an old Dell Inspiron 1521), I installed linux mint besides Lubuntu 20.04. All was working fine in Linux mint and Lubuntu 20.04 in the network area Ethernet & Wi-fi.
After that, I upgraded Lubuntu to 22.04 and all the network connections are missing!
May I Export from Mint to Lubuntu the drivers missing?
Device-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX vendor: Dell driver: b44 v: kernel port: N/A
bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:170c
Device-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: wl v: kernel pcie:
speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 0b:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:4315
I tried to compile the drivers but I got a “not found messages” that leads me to a “Kernel drivers missing”. .
Perhaps someone of you may conduct me to a place where I be able to get the drivers?
Thanks in advance for any answer you give to this issue.

To be clear, even your Ethernet isn’t working? That’s odd - Ethernet virtually always works out of the box.

As for WiFi, you’re using Broadcom WiFi, which usually requires a driver that’s in the Ubuntu repos. If you can get your system connected to the Internet somehow (Ethernet if it still works, USB tethering to a mobile phone usually works as an absolute last resort), you can run sudo apt update && sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source and that should install the needed driver.

If you can’t get your system connected to the Internet at all, you’ll need to download the driver and all of its dependencies one by one. Getting the list of packages to download is a bit tricky, so I would prefer to avoid building it unless you end up needing it. If you do need it, let me know.

2 Likes

Oh, yes, I need the instructions to get the driver and dependencies downloaded from other device, because neither ethernet is working!.
I haven’t been able to make it work.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Sorry that it’s been taking me so long - getting the right list and instructions has been harder than expected.

Don’t worry, I appreciate your support and be waiting for it.

I just had some issues with getting wifi running on my '09 Mac Book Pro with a new Manjaro installation, that machine has the Broadcom 4322??? and it needed something like “b43-firmware” driver . . . took some messing around. If your card is older it might need “b-43-legacy” . . . ???

But, the joy of ubuntu/Lubuntu is the “additional drivers” app . . . which should be able to find the drivers for your system and add them in??? The question is, of course if you can’t connect the machine to the internet at all, might be a problem . . . but as was mentioned, it should be ethernet just works???

As you may read at the start of this topic, neither ethernet is working!!

Well . . . perhaps it’s time to get new parts to fix the problem?? But, my point was that both Mint & Ubuntu have the “additional drivers” feature and it should be that that app can find the precise drivers that the system would need to add wifi . . . . Where you get the drivers and how you get them into the machine would then be up to you.

Sigh, the instructions I was putting together for downloading the driver onto a USB drive ended up being frighteningly complicated, and I was realizing they might not even work depending on your system. I think it was probably a bad idea.

Do you have a mobile phone, and if so, does it support USB tethering? You can connect your system to the Internet with that just long enough to run sudo apt update && sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source and that should get your WiFi up and running quickly, assuming that the bcmwl-kernel-source driver is the right one. You could also use the Additional Drivers tool that way.

4 Likes

I’ll try this option, I hope this may fix my issue!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.