Did you get a heatwave in your area?

In this sweltering summer heat, I was a bit alarmed my cpu temperature rose about 10c.
I was thinking about ways to cool it down, my 1st idea was to prop up a hand held fan next to the intake;

fan

That actually brought it back down to normal.
Until ofcourse the portable fan ran out of juice :laughing:.

My 2nd idea was to underclock (from the bios) from 1.8Ghz down to 1.5Ghz.
Running at lower freq would require less power right ?

Wrong. The temperature actually went up another 5c. Go figure.
I would have to guess that even though the cpu is slower, it’s doing the same amount of work, and using more time to do it.

I hope that fan has recharged by now.

1 Like

Got up to 102-103 F here in Missouri, US. Yeah, it’s insanely hot over on our half of the world this year.

Not necessarily, assuming you have the same workload.

It’s counterintuitive but picture the 1.8 GHz as a 1 ton pickup and the 1.5 GHz as a half-ton…

Now, assume you fill the truck with the same amount of crap every day, about a ton.

Now, assume you’re trying to carry that same ton of crap with a half-ton pickup. It is working harder, less efficient, and wears components out faster.

Where I live we have reached 110 degrees it’s summer and it’s supposed to be hot as hell.

Okay the only true way to lower core temp of your processor is to under volt the processor which is done via the motherboard bios.

Most if not all oem pre-build computers do not allow the user to do this so sol.

Kit build computers allow the user to change / alter the operating parameters of the motherboard.

Under volting a processor can sometimes cause system instability and system freezing.

If your processor is still within it’s safe operating temp range and you are not experiencing any problems I wouldn’t worry.

I used to over clock my processors back in the old days and never burned up or destroyed any processor due to exceeding the safe operating temperature.