Consider adding Falkon to the default build

I believe Firefox shouldn’t be removed, but it’s somehow a bit too heavy for old PCs. For those of us with older machines, Falkon runs much, much better while still being based on a solid foundation and making us able to enjoy the modern internet. I’d appreciate if the Lubuntu devs gave it a thought. Plus, it’s Qt, so some library sharing advantages may come into play there…

This comes independently on the snap vs deb topic.

2 Likes

We actually considered swapping Falkon in as the default browser instead of Firefox during the development of Kinetic. I don’t know what came of that plan, but personally I’m hoping for that to happen. We’re slightly drowning in projects at the moment, but hopefully we’ll revisit this at some point.

3 Likes

Why do you think that Falkon is based on a solid foundation?

Falkon is based on QtWebEngine. From QtWebEngine - Qt Wiki

After a release some bug fixes and security patches are backported.

For example in Chrome Releases: Stable Channel Update for Desktop 10 security fixes were announced. Which of them is fixed in Falkon?

1 Like

It id my understanding that the engine is similar to Chromium’s, although they take their time to put it up to date.

However, I believe if Falkon is snapped, the security concerns would be less concerning.

As I said, it doesn’t have to be deb (though that’d be preferable to let the libraries be shared).

1 Like

Firefox can be tweaked to be a lot more lightweight. The knobs to turn would depend on what your chokepoint is (RAM, processor, HDD, etc)

1 Like

I don’t think you can to the same extent you can with Falkon. At least not with the default build.