Can't install lubuntu

Hi everyone! Looking for help to install lubuntu on sony vaio laptop. Stuck in partitons section in install. Have a hitachi Hts543316l9sa00 with 149.05 Gib. The problem is that it allready has 2 partitions, sda1 with 15.98 Mib and sda2 with 149.03 gib. If I select replace partition it will install on sda2 and install will fail. If I select erase disk it will erase sda2 and it will also fail. Now here comes the good part. When I select manual partitioning hit next there it can be seen that it does something like deleting the partition then select next partition table the create, edit, delete and below the next buttons are greyed out out can I execute the program? Did read the steps but it says nothing on my problem. Thank you.

You’ve not told us what Lubuntu release you’re asking about; so we can’t know what you’re seeing exactly, as software changes over time.

Taking a picture of your screen, and providing a link to where we can see the picture may also allow us to help you. Partitioning requirements vary on partition table type, and you don’t specify anything but drive statistics.

FYI: Options are usually greyed out when you’re requesting something unsuitable for an install, and this prevents you from continuing (until you complete install requirements). You mention a sony vaio laptop, but also give no details of that laptop (or what I’m wondering is how it boots; ie. firmware & legacy vs. uEFI)

3 Likes

In case you are trying to install Lubuntu 24.04 LTS this is a short guide for the simplest partitioning:

• ‘New Partition Table’ →
    GPT
  • double-click partition named ‘Free Space’ →
    size 300 MiB, file system fat32, mount point /boot/efi, flags boot
  • double-click ‘Free Space’ again →
    file system ext4, mount point /, flags root

Now you can hit ‘Next’ and proceed the installation process.

4 Likes

Because ‘Erase Disk’ failed, the manual partitioning probably will fail, too.

Then choose ‘Try Lubuntu’ instead of ‘Install Lubuntu’, open ‘KDE Partition Manager’, unmount and delete every existing partition. After a reboot you should be able to complete the installation successfully.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.