I want to try out Lubuntu on a Samsung laptop with Nvidia graphics. The 20.04 image boots to the selection menu, but when I try to launch the live system, the computer eventually reboots and starts over. The 32-bit version of 18.04 is able to launch the live system, the 64-bit version of 18.04 keeps rebooting, like 20.04. However the laptop should be capable of running a 64-bit instruction set.
Samsung Aura P8400 Madril (R560 Series)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB
RAM: 4096 MB, PC3-8500F
- I have checked and rechecked the ISOs and DVD/USB media
- I have tried “safe graphics” and “nomodeset” as well as other switches (via f6)
- The blue Lubuntu screen only displays the moving dots animation and in certain cases does a system test, which it passes.
- Have glimpsed a very brief message (on black screen) to the effect that “no caching mode page found” – which I understand is normal and no cause for concern.
- In one case brief glimpse of “Starting hostname service” and something about “terminate Plymouth bootscreen” before system reboots. (i.e. not freezing)
- Have not found a way of pausing the computer to peruse the screen output, and since the live system is presumably installed in RAM, there does not appear to be a log file.
Being new to Linux, I am not sure where to go from here. Any pointers would be appreciated.