Can anyone help to get some educational games onto Jellyfish 22.04 for African School

Hello I am taking some old laptops out to Uganda in a few weeks - I have managed to get Jammy Jellyfish on to these laptops - but they are for a primary school in Uganda and some games would be great - the laptops that are already there have Tux games but I am struggling to get them to download and open on the laptops I am working on in the UK - also perhaps Gcompris …can anyone help me remotely to guide me through this - I am a 70 year old techie idiot …if you want to see the laptops that are already there in action go to www.fsmu.co.uk it is a really worthwhile things that you will be doing !

1 Like

Here’s the manual on installing packages:

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/4/4.1/discover.html

It should be as simple as searching for what you want and installing it.

Hi Walter …thank you so much for your reply. I am in my 70s ! and this is all a bit hard for me ……would it be possible sometime over the next few days for you and I to be live at the same time and for you to walk me through this ?

Considering we’re 10 hours apart, that’s probably untenable.

What I would suggest is reaching out to a nearby Ubuntu Local Community (LoCo). There is one in Nigeria:

I realize that’s on the other side of the continent but it’s a lot closer than I am!

Hi Walter I am in the UK ….travelling to Uganda on the 20th April

We’re still not particularly close. The LoCo suggestion still applies:

Thanks Walter …I appreciate you giving me a suggestion ……if there is anyone out there who can help live that would be great

Again, since the LoCos are about people actually dealing with one another in person, I’m sure there’s someone that can help you out if you go there.

Hello, perhaps these games that seem to be still in the official repositories can help you, the website indicates the command to install them from the terminal,

1 Like

If I wanted to explore what is suitable for specific age kids; I’d likely start by exploring what Edubuntu uses, as it’s a managed list managed by a qualified Educator.

Whilst it’s not packaged for jammy or 22.04, lunar (23.04) is the currently closest available (at packages.ubuntu.com), and whilst the focus is learning software (not really games), it’s possibly still a useful resource if you’re not aware of it.

To view packages included (for 23.04 or lunar) you can view online currently here - Ubuntu – Details of package ubuntu-edu-primary in lunar

• atomix
    puzzle game for building molecules out of separate atoms

• drawing
    simple drawing application for the GNOME desktop

• gcompris-qt
    educational games for small children

• gobby
    infinote-based collaborative text editor

• kalzium
    periodic table and chemistry tools

• kanagram
    jumble word puzzle

• kbruch
    fraction learning aid for KDE

• kgeography
    geography learning aid for KDE

• khangman
    Hangman word puzzle

• klettres
    foreign alphabet tutor for KDE

• ktouch
    touch typing tutor for KDE

• kturtle
    educational programming environment

• kwordquiz
    flashcard learning program

• libreoffice
    office productivity suite (metapackage)

• marble-qt
    globe and map widget (no KDE dependencies)

• ri-li
    toy train simulation game

• stellarium
    real-time photo-realistic sky generator

• step
    interactive physical simulator for KDE

• tuxmath
    math game for kids with Tux

• tuxtype
    Educational Typing Tutor Game Starring Tux

I’m using primary as example here as you mention it, however I found the package name for a CLI search (apt-cache search edubuntu) which shows the packages covering different age groups, ie.

ubuntu-edu-music - Music Education Application Bundle
ubuntu-edu-preschool - Preschool Educational Application Bundle
ubuntu-edu-primary - Primary Educational Application Bundle
ubuntu-edu-secondary - Secondary Educational Application Bundle
ubuntu-edu-teaching - Educational Application Bundle for Teachers
ubuntu-edu-tertiary - Tertiary Educational Application Bundle

Note: 23.04 is EOL & used only as it’s closest to 22.04, when that page disappears (it should have gone already!) I’d be using mantic or 23.10, which I’d expect to be pretty much identical.

3 Likes

Hi Chris - thanks so much - sorry you are talking to someone who doesn’t know a lot about the insides of a computer. I have only just put Jellyfish on to an old donated laptop - so are you saying I should start all over again but Edubuntu on instead ? So wipe off Jellyfish and then download Edubuntu on to my own PC - then put through Balena etcher then install on the old laptop ?

Sorry, and No, I wasn’t suggesting you start again…

The ‘ubuntu-edu-primary’ package I mentioned was created for Edubuntu, but can be used on any Ubuntu system, which of course includes Lubuntu.

ie. a apt install ubuntu-edu-primary would install that on my current noble system…

root@d7050-next:~#   apt install ubuntu-edu-primary 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  atomix atomix-data basic256 cclib drawing fonts-sil-andika fonts-sil-doulos gobby gradebook gsasl-common kalzium
  kalzium-data kbruch kgeography kgeography-data klettres klettres-data kturtle libaec0 libastro1 libavogadro-data
  libavogadro2-1 libgps30 libgsasl18 libgsl27 libgslcblas0 libgssglue1 libgtksourceview-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-common
  libhdf5-103-1 libinchi1 libindi-data libindiclient1 libinfgtk-0.7-0 libinfinity-0.7-0 libkf5plotting5
  libkf5unitconversion-data libkf5unitconversion5 libmaeparser1 libmarblewidget-qt5-28 libnlopt-cxx0 libnova-0.16-0 libntlm0
  libopenbabel7 libqalculate-data libqalculate22 libqt5charts5 libqt5qxlsx0t64 libqt5script5 libqt5serialport5 libshp4
  libsimpleini1t64 libsymspg2 libsz2 libxml++2.6-2v5 marble-plugins marble-qt marble-qt-data python3-cclib
  python3-periodictable ri-li ri-li-data stellarium stellarium-data step tuxtype tuxtype-data
Suggested packages:
  cclib-data chemical-mime-data khelpcenter gpsd gsl-ref-psdoc | gsl-doc-pdf | gsl-doc-info | gsl-ref-html
  python-periodictable-doc
Recommended packages:
  gcompris-qt kanagram khangman kwordquiz libreoffice tuxmath
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  atomix atomix-data basic256 cclib drawing fonts-sil-andika fonts-sil-doulos gobby gradebook gsasl-common kalzium
  kalzium-data kbruch kgeography kgeography-data klettres klettres-data kturtle libaec0 libastro1 libavogadro-data
  libavogadro2-1 libgps30 libgsasl18 libgsl27 libgslcblas0 libgssglue1 libgtksourceview-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-common
  libhdf5-103-1 libinchi1 libindi-data libindiclient1 libinfgtk-0.7-0 libinfinity-0.7-0 libkf5plotting5
  libkf5unitconversion-data libkf5unitconversion5 libmaeparser1 libmarblewidget-qt5-28 libnlopt-cxx0 libnova-0.16-0 libntlm0
  libopenbabel7 libqalculate-data libqalculate22 libqt5charts5 libqt5qxlsx0t64 libqt5script5 libqt5serialport5 libshp4
  libsimpleini1t64 libsymspg2 libsz2 libxml++2.6-2v5 marble-plugins marble-qt marble-qt-data python3-cclib
  python3-periodictable ri-li ri-li-data stellarium stellarium-data step tuxtype tuxtype-data ubuntu-edu-primary
0 to upgrade, 68 to newly install, 0 to remove and 317 not to upgrade.
Need to get 445 MB of archives.
After this operation, 900 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

but you may decide you don’t want them all, thus I was suggesting exploring the usefulness of the packages that would get installed for your purposes.

At the very least they’ve had a qualified educator (ie. teacher) assess & deem them safe/suitable for the age range. I included a list of the packages in my prior post; this time I’ve just shown how it would appear on my current system if I was to enter the command to install the meta-package “ubuntu-edu-primary” (I’m using a Lubuntu noble or what will be 24.04 on release system).

I’ll provide a link if you wish to learn more about Edubuntu - Announcing Edubuntu Revival - Edubuntu - Ubuntu Community Hub

Erich, the technical lead of Edubuntu, has explained elsewhere why Edubuntu uses the GNOME desktop included with Ubuntu Desktop as their base (over a flavor like LXQt used by Lubuntu, or even the other flavor Ubuntu Studio he leads), but that doesn’t mean a lighter desktop like LXQt won’t better suit specific needs.

I was just providing my 2c on the initial request of "Can anyone help me to get some education games on a Jellyfish 22.04…

4 Likes

Hi Chris - Edubuntu looks amazing - I will let you know how I get on -

2 Likes

Install the games, then install cubic by adding the ppa through the software sources app: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cubic-wizard/release

Then in terminal(Its simpler for me, but you may use muon, of course, search for the cubic package and install it): sudo apt install --no-install-recommends cubic

Then you can make your custom Lubuntu ISO for installation on the computers of the kids.
Sorry if i misread this post.

Hi Chris - I have done it ….thank you so much really pleased

4 Likes