Bug/Suggestion: Low Power Warning

Hello, I’m using Lubuntu 18.10. Apologies for making this bug/suggestion without installing the latest version 19.04; perhaps my concern is addressed in 19.04. If not, I think it’d be a good idea to incorporate.

Lubuntu 18.10 does not start by default with any sort of low battery warning. This has caused me multiple times to lose power and all my work because I forget to keep an eye on the system tray and the power. Example, I’m at a coffeeshop, my power cable comes unplugged without me noticing, then all of a sudden, the power is at zero and my machine suddenly shuts down.

Given that Lubuntu is all about light weight, small footprint, and conserving resources, it seems that power/battery problems would be a common issue for the user base. And so it would make sense, I think, to include by default some sort of warning when the power is down to 2% or whatnot.

What do y’all think?

Also, where is the proper place to submit a Lubuntu bug/suggestion? https://bugs.launchpad.net/lubuntu tells me “Lubuntu does not use Launchpad for bug tracking”

Thanks!

There’s a whole wiki page on bugs, but tl;dr do something like ubuntu-bug package but you need to figure out the name of the package, naturally. For this, lubuntu-default-settings would be a reasonable place assuming the functionality is there, but not enabled.

That said, it’s important to look at the package managing power. In our case, that is lxqt-powermanagement. Let’s take a look at the default setup:

You’ll notice that it’s set to provide a warning 30 seconds before the power runs out. Perhaps that’s not enough time for you. If you’d like, you can ramp that up to 500 seconds.

Furthermore, if you want a fallback, you can modify the action to take when the power is low (which is defined here as 5%). Suspending seems like it would be a reasonable solution.

That said, I’m not against tweaking those settings a little bit but I would hate for someone to be surprised by their machine suddenly taking some action without their consent. If anything, I would see increasing the warning value.

1 Like

Please note, that Lubuntu 18.10 reached its end of life on July 18 2019.

Please upate to Lubuntu 19.04.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.