Bug... Failed Snap Daemon in Lubuntu 22.04 LTS. No Firefox. Help please

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Noticed something possibly relevant to this bug on the Lubuntu Users mailing list, posted by @Fritz:

Once again in Lu can’t access Discourse, so posting here . . . running kinetic this morning and executed “apt update && apt dist-upgrade” . . . showed a few hundred packages to install . . . midway through on #52??? there was a “hang” on what might have been “initrd - 5.15xxxxx” and there was an “error” showing in the update applet . . . something about “package number count”??? Concurrently FireFox disappeared from the internet menu . . . .

I couldn’t “ctrl-c” out of the hang in the console . . . couldn’t launch synaptic because “apt” was locking access . . . didn’t know the precise command to “force quit apt” . . . I also tried “apt -f install” but that wouldn’t override apt’s lock on the system. Finally just shut down out of it.

On cold boot in spite of hanging “halfway” . . . now it showed only one package left to upgrade . . . a language package?? But it showed “5.15 xxx” to be removed in “autoremove”?? so it was previously trying to install it and then changed its mind??

uname -r right now shows 5.13.0-16-generic . . . I didn’t update grub via the master grub controller in another OS . . . to see if that would get the kernel closer to 6.15??? Running a multi-boot grub situation . . . . But there hasn’t been this kind of “hang” in running apt in Lu in quite some time . . . ??? something got sideways in the dist-upgrade in kinetic . . . .

Emphasis on the disappearing Firefox added by me. As to what all happened here, I have no clue (things seem quite a bit more broken than just the Firefox icon going missing), but the fact that we have yet another instance of Firefox appearing to vanish seems possibly useful for if we try to debug this issue in the future.

1 Like

Just had Firefox vanish from the Application Menu again upon booting a fresh installation of the latest Lubuntu Kinetic with BTRFS. GNOME Boxes running on Ubuntu 22.04.1, EFI+Secure Boot enabled, 2 GiB RAM, 20 GiB disk space. Enabled auto-login during installation. Upon booting the freshly installed system, Firefox was not available in the Application Menu. Rebooting the VM made Firefox show up again (though I didn’t try to launch it).

I hate race conditions. (EDIT: Wasn’t actually a race condition this particular time, see below)

3 Likes

This also occurred on a bare metal installation - Kinetic daily 20220927.2
WOW NY41 – Int.Cel. J4125, 8GB, 128GB SSD,Intel UHD Graphics 600Dual Band WiFi,Ethernet,BT5.1
testcase: full disk, encryption, secure-EFI, internet, no-swap + Install using another language (Icelandic)

Will retest and see if I can reproduce this.

3 Likes

This might actually be unrelated, as Firefox is consistently not showing up when the Lubuntu Kinetic ISO is booted, or on the first boot of (at least some) installs of Lubuntu Kinetic. Also, waiting for a while will result in Firefox showing up, after a flurry of Snap-related activity finishes.

@leok reported and I commented on this bug: Bug #1991011 “snaps not preseeded on Kinetic images” : Bugs : snapd package : Ubuntu

3 Likes

Alright, turns out something deep in the guts of Ubuntu’s ISO builds decided to blow up and now Snap preseeding has been disabled so that the ISOs will build again. That’s why Firefox is taking a while to show up after booting the ISO and on the first boot of the installed system. Not normal behavior, but expected for now.

3 Likes