Bug... Failed Snap Daemon in Lubuntu 22.04 LTS. No Firefox. Help please

You say you tested with an Nvidia NVS 290. I actually am using a slightly newer model on the problem PC, an NVS 300. Does it share the same issues?

1 Like

So you guys say it’s a timing issue? Does that mean DVDs are too slow to use for Lubuntu 22.04? Can the timing issue also occur with USB flash drives?

I’d hate to stop using DVDs for making Linux boot media… ;(

The only Windows I still use is Windows XP. I wonder, can I get away with using older versions of USB boot media creators? Are old versions of Rufus still safe to use?

1 Like

Timing issues will usually be fixed by devs if there are no consequences for the change… For them it maybe allowing more time before a program declares ‘error’ which would cater better for slower-DVD media when used; but the negative is everyone else with errors will have to wait longer before they get their error report (for other issues). Timing issues can occur on USB flash drives; but being faster (no latency as the head needs to move to other places on the disc) they may not be impacted by this issue.

The fact that @ArrayBolt3 in post #27 had the issue in a VM may mean it’s not limited to DVD which would raise the issue significantly to upstream devs I believe (once we have a bug report for it). If they’re able to re-produce it easily; it’s easier for them to detect cause & provide fix (if possible).

2 Likes

I have completed tests on 3 seperate boxes (barebone not VM) installing with DVD media with an external DVD player (ASUS 90-DQ0435-UA221KZ)

1. Dell Optiplex 7060 i7-8700, 32 GB RAM booting uefi+secure boot
  2. Dell Optiplex 7040 i7-6700, 32 GB RAM booting uefi
  3. Dell Latitude 7280 i5-7300U,16Gb RAM booting uefi+secure boot

Booted into live desktop and waited for the dvd to complete (stop spinning) - then checked Internet menu and selected Firefox which ran after a few moments - proceeded from there to install the OS - all went well and the installs took 3 to 5 minutes depending on the machines.

Interestingly I found that it took ca 45 minutes on all boxes to complete loading the Live desktop. When installing from USB media on these machines the boot time is ca 2 minutes.

So the result is I could not reproduce the reported errors re:Firefox on these machines.

4 Likes

That might mean it’s influenced by CPU speed, since the problem doesn’t show up in a KVM-accelerated VM, but does show up when using pure QEMU.

I’ll try booting Ubuntu 22.04 in pure QEMU and see what happens. If Firefox fails there, too, then I’m pretty sure that would make it a snapd issue.

Worthy of note: When I boot up stuff in virt-manager, it has both KVM and QXL acceleration, whereas I believe both forms of acceleration are missing when I use pure QEMU. So graphics acceleration might have something to do with it. I’ll also try booting Lubuntu and Ubuntu with KVM and no QXL to see what happens.

3 Likes

My desktops are old as in 2010 / 2008 dual core processors with 4.0 GB ddr2 and ddr3 memory and mechanical hard drives.

@leok your computers appear to be new with i7 processors and 32 Gb of memory and most likely SSDs which is why you have no errors.

I think @guiverc has hit the nail on the head with the timing issue.

In the olden days users used Lubuntu because of the low system hardware requirements to compensate for using low powered computers.

Nowadays most users have bad A$$ computers such as your fleet of computers.

Lubuntu being LXQT is no-longer geared for the low powered computers that are considered useless outdated dregs in the computer world of today.

I have no complaints with Lubuntu 22.04 having any problem with Firefox Snap not working.

My problem from the git-go has been getting Lubuntu to get to the menu screen so that I could start the install.

I had no idea that Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 22.04 official flavors were going to take so long just to load to the install menu.

So yes perhaps in my case I may have jumped the gun due to my using old outdated junk computers for modern Linux.

Anyway once installed Lubuntu 22.04 runs good and everything appears to work fine.

I believe the new Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 22.04 official flavors might take a little bit of getting used to for some of us old farts.

I’m a web surfer so my old junk box builds work for me.

The Firefox Snap ain’t as bad as everyone seems to say takes a few extra seconds after a reboot to open and that ain’t no big deal imo.

Good day or evening to all.

4 Likes

Interesting - just for the record I have performed numerous installs witn QEMU (virt-manager) and VirtualBox with no issues.

2 Likes

Booted a plain Ubuntu 22.04 ISO using pure QEMU (no KVM) - the thing didn’t even succeed in getting to the “Try Ubuntu” screen (it showed a window about an internal error, but wouldn’t let me show details), but I was able to switch to a TTY and check /var/log/syslog - sure enough, snapd failed to start. Three times.

Booting Lubuntu 22.04 in virt-manager (QEMU/KVM) with no graphics acceleration still allowed Firefox to load just fine, so it’s not a GPU issue AFAICT. Ubuntu 22.04 behaves the same way.

I’ve reported the bug on Launchpad. Bug #1970477 “Live session, snapd fails to start or behaves stra...” : Bugs : snapd

3 Likes

Did you mean 22.04 here? or have you reverted to the older Lubuntu 20.04 LTS?

1 Like

I’m old and have poor eyesight so yes it should read 22.04 so if you could correct my mistake in that post I’d appreciate that.

Thanks for catching that as the reader glasses don’t seem to be cutting it anymore.

4 Likes

I just noted another example of a user experiencing issue like this (or something similar anyway)

3 Likes

Partially related…

I just noted Bug #1971905 “md5check should cancel itself on slow storage” : Bugs : casper package : Ubuntu so maybe one part of what slows down a boot (MD5 scan of media) on optical-media (DVD) maybe dropped in the future…

4 Likes

Not really off topic but relevant to this discussion as on Bug report:

I need to check but Ubuntu should have 22.04 low memory (a few gig) VM ? I have used Ubuntu core in the past but it is only advertised for embedded IoT ? Are users supposed to use IoT Core 20 for low memory VMs ?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Noticed something possibly relevant to this bug on the Lubuntu Users mailing list, posted by @Fritz:

Once again in Lu can’t access Discourse, so posting here . . . running kinetic this morning and executed “apt update && apt dist-upgrade” . . . showed a few hundred packages to install . . . midway through on #52??? there was a “hang” on what might have been “initrd - 5.15xxxxx” and there was an “error” showing in the update applet . . . something about “package number count”??? Concurrently FireFox disappeared from the internet menu . . . .

I couldn’t “ctrl-c” out of the hang in the console . . . couldn’t launch synaptic because “apt” was locking access . . . didn’t know the precise command to “force quit apt” . . . I also tried “apt -f install” but that wouldn’t override apt’s lock on the system. Finally just shut down out of it.

On cold boot in spite of hanging “halfway” . . . now it showed only one package left to upgrade . . . a language package?? But it showed “5.15 xxx” to be removed in “autoremove”?? so it was previously trying to install it and then changed its mind??

uname -r right now shows 5.13.0-16-generic . . . I didn’t update grub via the master grub controller in another OS . . . to see if that would get the kernel closer to 6.15??? Running a multi-boot grub situation . . . . But there hasn’t been this kind of “hang” in running apt in Lu in quite some time . . . ??? something got sideways in the dist-upgrade in kinetic . . . .

Emphasis on the disappearing Firefox added by me. As to what all happened here, I have no clue (things seem quite a bit more broken than just the Firefox icon going missing), but the fact that we have yet another instance of Firefox appearing to vanish seems possibly useful for if we try to debug this issue in the future.

1 Like

Just had Firefox vanish from the Application Menu again upon booting a fresh installation of the latest Lubuntu Kinetic with BTRFS. GNOME Boxes running on Ubuntu 22.04.1, EFI+Secure Boot enabled, 2 GiB RAM, 20 GiB disk space. Enabled auto-login during installation. Upon booting the freshly installed system, Firefox was not available in the Application Menu. Rebooting the VM made Firefox show up again (though I didn’t try to launch it).

I hate race conditions. (EDIT: Wasn’t actually a race condition this particular time, see below)

3 Likes

This also occurred on a bare metal installation - Kinetic daily 20220927.2
WOW NY41 – Int.Cel. J4125, 8GB, 128GB SSD,Intel UHD Graphics 600Dual Band WiFi,Ethernet,BT5.1
testcase: full disk, encryption, secure-EFI, internet, no-swap + Install using another language (Icelandic)

Will retest and see if I can reproduce this.

3 Likes

This might actually be unrelated, as Firefox is consistently not showing up when the Lubuntu Kinetic ISO is booted, or on the first boot of (at least some) installs of Lubuntu Kinetic. Also, waiting for a while will result in Firefox showing up, after a flurry of Snap-related activity finishes.

@leok reported and I commented on this bug: Bug #1991011 “snaps not preseeded on Kinetic images” : Bugs : snapd package : Ubuntu

3 Likes

Alright, turns out something deep in the guts of Ubuntu’s ISO builds decided to blow up and now Snap preseeding has been disabled so that the ISOs will build again. That’s why Firefox is taking a while to show up after booting the ISO and on the first boot of the installed system. Not normal behavior, but expected for now.

3 Likes