Accidentally installed 2 copies of TOR: I want to identify, remove, and verify, but how?

Many *buntu users are having problems with TOR in 22.04, getting a “Download Error 404” message when they try to install TOR browser. I tried to install TOR last night on my Dell Latitude 3190 laptop and had the same problem. It was a late, I was a little tipsy, and I was dozing on and off while trying to fix it, so I don’t know what I did, but I now have 2 copies of TOR. When I go to Internet applications in the application launcher, there are 2 sets of “TOR browser” and “TOR browser launcher settings” icons. If I select one of the TOR icons, it tries to download and install TOR and I get the Download Error 404 message, but if I select the other TOR icon, the browser launches and seems to connect to the TOR network correctly. (Also, if I try to launch TOR from the terminal using torbrowser-launcher command, I get the Download Error 404 message.)

Since there seem to be (at least) 2 copies of TOR on my computer, I want to (A) find out where each set of application launcher icons is pointing to, (B) remove the copy of TOR that is not working, and (C) verify that the copy of TOR that seems to be working is installed correctly and probably doing what it is supposed to be doing (since the terminal command doesn’t seem to launch the “working” copy of TOR, I wonder if it is not installed correctly).

I don’t really know how to start with (A), or how to proceed with (B) when there are 2 copies and I only want to uninstall one, or how to do (C).

Sorry, I know that’s a lot. I assume this Discourse is the right place to post this question since I assume the application launcher is specific to LXQt and Lubuntu. Feel free to just point to other resources if my questions are already answered other places.

1 Like

I’d uninstall both of them.

Look in Muon Package Manager and see if Tor is shown as being installed and if so Uninstall it.

Check in Muon Package Manager and check the Tor packages you removed and see if any are marked Purge if so check them.

If you installed Tor using Discover Software Center than uninstall Tor using Discover Software Center.

Restart your computer and then check that both are Uninstalled.

Thanks. I didn’t use Discover Software Center to install, but I was able to Uninstall using it.

After Uninstalling via the Discover Software Center, the *non-*working copy of “Tor Browser” and “Tor Browser Launcher Settings” was removed from the application launcher.

However, the “working” copy of TOR is still in the application launcher and still appears to be working correctly. If I try to launch TOR from the terminal now, it is not found.

Here is a selection from my terminal:

user@computer:~$ tor
Jan 30 21:17:52.793 [notice] Tor 0.4.6.10 running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.12-stable, OpenSSL 3.0.2, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.5, Libzstd 1.4.8 and Glibc 2.35 as libc.
Jan 30 21:17:52.793 [notice] Tor can't help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://support.torproject.org/faq/staying-anonymous/
Jan 30 21:17:52.793 [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
Jan 30 21:17:52.796 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Jan 30 21:17:52.796 [warn] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address already in use. Is Tor already running?
Jan 30 21:17:52.796 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Jan 30 21:17:52.796 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

user@computer:~$ torbrowser-launcher
Command 'torbrowser-launcher' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

user@computer:~$ whereis tor
tor: /usr/bin/tor /usr/sbin/tor /etc/tor /usr/share/tor /usr/share/man/man1/tor.1.gz

user@computer:~$ whereis torbrowser-launcher
torbrowser-launcher:

user@computer:~$ sudo apt remove torbrowser-launcher
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package 'torbrowser-launcher' is not installed, so not removed

user@computer:~$ sudo apt remove tor

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  torsocks
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  tor tor-geoipdb
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 15.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 315422 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing tor-geoipdb (0.4.6.10-1) ...
Removing tor (0.4.6.10-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...

user@computer:~$ sudo apt autoremove
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  torsocks
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 343 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 315382 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing torsocks (2.3.0-3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1)

user@computer:~$

In addition, when I do a “Find Files” search via the GUI, it returns 3 executable files called TOR, located in…

/home/username/.local/share/Trash/files/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor

/home/username/.var/app/com.github.micahflee.torbrowser-launcher/data/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor

/usr/bin

I’ve never used Top so don’t know anything about it.

These may be of use.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.