About Lubuntu Backports

Hi!

Maybe just a silly question. I have Lubuntu 22.04 and i have anabled Lubuntu backports for LXQT1.1
https://lubuntu.me/jammy-backports-22-04-1/

My question is, I will be able to upgrade to the next LTS 24.04 after 2 years with the backports PPA that i have enabled with the latest LXQT or i will need to do a fresh installation on Lubuntu LTS ?

It’s a little early for us to give advice on what is required for a release-upgrade from 22.04 to 24.04 LTS.

If I was to offer an opinion, which could change as we get closer to Lubuntu nn (24.04) I’d expect you just upgrade normally.

At worst you’ll need to ppa-purge prior to the release-upgrade, but if that’s required, which I’d expect us to discover in our normal Quality Assurance testing, we’ll provide documentation on performing this step if/when it’s required.

2 Likes

So i suppose the upgrade will be possible! This is my concern!
Because i don’t want to make a fresh clean install. And this is my main reason to keep Lubuntu as my mainly driver.

I’ll provide another option that I hope will make you less concerned.

The box I’m using right now is one I use for QA (Quality Assurance) testing installs, and it contains the following systems

• Lubuntu 20.04 LTS (still supported)
  • Lubuntu 22.04 LTS (still supported)
  • Lubuntu kinetic (what will be Lubuntu 22.10 on release)

When Lubuntu 21.10 reached EOL; that system of mine contained a number of manually installed packages (ie. packages I’d added, eg. I like clementine for playing my music which isn’t a default for Lubuntu, etc), let alone my files (eg. my music). I already had a Lubuntu 22.04 system and had no benefit of having two of them, so I used the install to perform a QA-test install (called Install using existing partition in our testcases) to turn the EOL 21.10 system into a kinetic one. Post install I checked my music files where there & used my favorite clementine music player to confirm that (checking it & my other manually installed packages were auto-reinstalled during the install, and yep… I’d re-installed the system, my 21.10 system had become kinetic (22.10) without loss of my music files or manually installed packages. IF you have problems with release-upgrade, this is another alternative open to you, but as I tried to express in my last comment - I can’t see this as being necessary (though as it’s far faster! I have on occasion used it because I’m in a hurry too)

You no doubt know I’m not willing to give guarantees, as I have no idea on what Lubuntu will look like in 2024, though we’re working on that already given Lubuntu 22.10 is the first of the 3 non-LTS releases we make in the two year full-development cycle that started after 22.04 was released (18.10, 19.04, & 19.10 were steps towards 20.04; just as 20.10, 21.04 & 21.10 were steps towards 22.04; each full development cycle that takes two years consists of 3 non-LTS + the final LTS; each of which is six months). None of us have crystal balls or can see the future, currently we’re limited to opinions, and I’ve given mine as best I can.

Note: If you want more details about the install type I was mentioning, look at the link I provided on this site, though I’ve written about it elsewhere too (askubuntu, ubuntuforums etc) as the ability to re-install (repair Ubuntu used to call it) is something I love about Ubuntu’s installation. It works with ubiquity and calamares on Ubuntu ISOs currently; it’s intended to be on the canary installer too (what will replace ubiquity), but I’ve not had any success there yet in QA, but that should change with time.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply!! Its a little bit difficult to understand your setup.
I know for sure that I will be able to upgrade from 22.04 to 24.04 since it was the same for all LTS releases like 20.04 to 22.04.

My only concern is because of the backports that I have enabled in order to have the latest LXQT version

My point was, that even if you need to re-install - you can do it rather quickly & not lose anything, or not much (if you do it without format). My re-installs don’t impact my data, and the manually installed packages I added to the system are auto-reinstalled. I tend to think of this as a backup option if a release-upgrade goes wrong (though I also mentioned I use it as it’s faster than a in-place release-upgrade too),

ie. my long story was trying to explain I re-install those systems regularly, instead of performing upgrades (using daily images). I do it as it accomplishes two tasks; it achieves via the re-install the effect of upgrading my packages; and it performs a QA-test install ensuring the daily image is still good; my kinetic gets re-installed weekly, the jammy gets re-installed every week or two using the daily image that will eventually be released as 22.04.2. I’ve stopped doing it with 20.04 as the recent 20.04.5 ISO was the last we expect to release, thus there aren’t any more updated daily images to test or achieve an upgraded system through.

Οκ I cought your point but yes my goal is to be able to do the upgrade process from one LTS to the other even if I have the backports enabled from this LTS

The best I can offer of anything further, is to watch our testing checklist for kinetic.

I’ve added two new items

• GUI upgrade¹ from jammy with backports enable
  • TUI upgrade² from jammy with backports enabled

We’ll perform the same in 2024 when it’s closer to release of Lubuntu nn (24.04) LTS, but as already stated, that’s a long time into the future.

Update: Text terminal release-upgrades from 22.04 (to kinetic or 22.10) with the backports PPA work just as they do without PPA added (refer aforementioned checklist)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.