You should remove Snap in the Distro from default and leave it as an option

Thanks for the info, I took for granted they were all in tune with Ubuntu when it came to LTS.
I checked Mint and appears it does provide the same 5 year LTS support

Moreover, the support is only for security updates, right?

Other OS components and packages are not updated, AFAIK. So let’s say you install Dosbox or Lutris or VLC through APT, you will stay for years in that same version except for security updates, which you’ll still receive.

I’m thinking, although Lubuntu stops support, it’s still Ubuntu 22.04, so we will get the regular security updates from Ubuntu repo (might have to switch some repos), in my case, I’m hooked up to repos like WineHQ, Lutris, kisak-mesa, etc. So I would imagine support from those repos will also continue for the life of 22.04

No, this is not entirely correct. It is also possible to fix normal bugs. The details can be found at StableReleaseUpdates - Ubuntu Wiki

In the case of LXQt, this is a bit difficult, as upstream does not provide long term support for specific versions (they have only the latest version and the not-yet-released version). So the packagers have to backport fixes into the released version.

1 Like

Yes, you can think that, but the reality is often different. Security updates do not appear magically.

And I would not use a LTS version for gaming purposes.

1 Like

Because of the outdated kernel and Mesa?

For PCs with not-new hardware, I don’t think that’d be too much of an issue. Let’s say PCs from 2013 or something like that.
Not that I have any particular interest in LTs versions, I always run the interim ones.

Yes and no. The reason for LTS versions is to have a stable version for a long time (and 3 or 5 years are a long time).

If you install 20.04 LTS you want to have a stable system not only in the year 2020 but also this year until next year. The kernel in 20.04 is not outdated, it is actively maintained by the kernel team. Sometimes the kernel receives support for new hardware and sometimes not. But you can be relatively sure, that the 20.04 kernel today behaves like it behaved two years ago.

Ubuntu has also the concept of hardware stacks. The point releases introduce newer kernel versions. You can use 20.04 with the linux-generic (5.4) or with linux-generic-hwe (5.15). Both versions are widely used in the Ubuntu community and are therefore well supported.

If you need third-party software or you need “newer” software, than maybe you should update every 6 months to the next Ubuntu release or you choose a rolling release distribution.
If you add third-party repos to your LTS system, then the question is, how stable is it? If you add Wine, then probably the community is big enough to detect and react to bugs. But if you add a PPA which is maintained by one person and tested on one device?

But this is a personal decision and I share only my point of view. It is absolutely fine, if you have a different point of view.

2 Likes

Snaps are containerized, which means that there will be less cruft with dependencies and such.

Also, they are less likely to screw up should you do a major upgrade.

But if you have a low spec computer, its best to remove snaps and use native apps instead.

I would add that its more low RAM now instead of a low spec computer. Snaps have progressed where I don’t see a difference anymore if you have the memory.

It seems Snap is on its way out anyway:

4 Likes

lol. You almost got me man.

I needed the laugh though. Thank you. :grin:

1 Like

Got me.
I wish snaps would go away.
They seem to defeat the purpose of shared libraries. :frowning:

1 Like

That would be nice to have the option to use the choice of container(s) or to just leave it out from the git-go.

I don’t see that happening though for many reasons that should be obvious to most Linux users.

I myself like the concept of containers and use other Linux distros which support containers.

I don’t mind Snap in Lubuntu and as far as I can tell there ain’t many Snaps installed in Lubuntu.

Things change and we accept the new changes and move forward or refuse the new changes and stay behind or go elsewhere.

Lubuntu ain’t perfect but it’s still a good Linux distro which I’ll continue to use until it no longer works for what I need to do.

3 Likes

I just ask: why Snap apps are so slow? I know they are better for security than standard debs because of isolation.

I don’t have powerful CPU, but installed Flatpak version of Firefox and… I feel it’s starting much faster than Snap version (SSD disc)
Could anyone compare this version? Or this is fast only for me :slight_smile:

Unfortunately at cost of much disc usage

Also, before I installed Lubuntu, I was trying Ubuntu Mate and Linux Mint Mate
And UbuntuMate unfortunately was laggy and unusable. I don’t know why?
Linux Mint Mate was usable, but Lubuntu works much faster.

Also another downside of Snap is that there is no GUI tool to control permissions. For Flatpak there is Flatseal.

I think Canonical should improve Snap or just remove them or something, because in 2025 there is Windows 10 End of Life and many computers will be scrapped (or switched to Linux). Also Windows 7 is still popular, and Firefox for Windows 7 is in final ESR version.

Snaps exist compressed on disk, reducing disk space used; but also meaning the load times are slower (as the data needs to be uncompressed when read from disk) but this shouldn’t impact performance; only startup time.

There are pros and cons to everything, and Ubuntu uses snaps; as some systems (esp. IoT devices) often have small disk space, compression was seen as a must. Snap packages aren’t just used on modern PCs with large space; but often small & sometimes older devices (2017 was when Toyota started using Automotive Grade Linux, and manufacturers usually opt for the cheapest/smallest device they can use; Canonical is interested in this IoT market where snap packages shine).

We couldn’t include any flatpaks, as there are no flatpaks in Ubuntu repositories, or the snap store, which is where seed files grab packages from.

2 Likes

What are your system specs.
Processor / memory / graphics

Here’s my system specs notice the massive mechanical hard drive 40 GB.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 6.2.0-33-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: LXQt 0.17.1
    Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell
    v: A02 date: 08/27/2010
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Core Yorkfield rev: A cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1596 min/max: 1600/2933 cores: 1: 1596 2: 1596
    bogomips: 11704
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1152x864~75Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel G41 (ELK)
    v: 2.1 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 direct render: Yes                                                      
Audio:                                                                                                          
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Dell                                           
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0                                                             
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.2.0-33-generic running: yes                                                        
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes                                                            
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes                                                               
Network:                                                                                                        
  Device-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe vendor: Dell                                        
    driver: tg3 v: kernel port: N/A bus-ID: 02:00.0                                                             
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>                                              
Drives:                                                                                                         
  Local Storage: total: 37.25 GiB used: 9.55 GiB (25.6%)                                                        
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD400BD-75JMA0                                                  
    size: 37.25 GiB                                                                                             
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 36.37 GiB used: 9.55 GiB (26.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 160 Uptime: 19m Memory: 3.72 GiB used: 1.28 GiB (34.5%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 Packages: 1754 Shell: Bash
  v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.13
lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ 

Okay it ain’t no super computer although it’s not painful to use and the Linux experience is good.

I found article that Ubuntu will drop flaptak support.
What that means? Flatpak will be completely deleted from repositories?
Or only not installed by default?
I don’t know which is better, but I need some programs that are Flatpak only.
(for example Bottles is nice tool for running Wine), so I decided to use Flatpak (it’s not hard to install)

For me Lubuntu working nice, and I think I will stay with it.Your LXQT Desktop environment is not perfect, but faster than others I tried.

3 Likes

Providing a link of what you read will help us better understand what you’re asking.

I’m aware of no such dropping of flatpak support, EXCEPT that flatpak will not be available out of the box.

To use flatpaks in Lubuntu, just refer to the following doc

Lubuntu is one of the flavors that never provided flatpak support out of the box, thus no change occurred with us, though at least two flavors did provide such support in past releases but are now exactly where Lubuntu currently is.

2 Likes

Thanks for links, but for the most accurate details I’ll always suggest reading official Ubuntu documents/releases/announcements.

Flatpaks was a prominent issue at least one of the flavor sync meetings (likely more than one), and it was subsequent to one of these that Aaron wrote (on request) the link I provided earlier if I recall correctly; though I see other newer entries when I search, but most are non-public with the public announcement that likely led to the bloggers post being

(Some flavor sync meetings can be seen via Flavors - Ubuntu Community Hub, but do note not everything discussed makes it to the public meeting notes/minutes)

3 Likes