Where can I program shortcuts in Lubuntu 20.10?

In Lubuntu 20.04 shortcuts can be programed in .config/openbox/lxqt-rc.xml.
But shortcuts, where the windows-key is part of the shortcut, don’t work any more in Lubutu 20.10, maybe because of .config/lxqt/globalkeysshortcuts.conf.
In globalkeysshortcuts.conf there is for example the shortcut Show/hide runner that works with windows-key+R as default. In globalkeysshortcuts.conf, for the shortcut Show/hide runner, there is this information:
path=/runner/show_hide_dialog
But where is the file? I can’t find the file. I think that there should be a kind of text-file, like lxqt-rc.xml,
where I can see how shortcuts are programed, to get an idea how to program a shortcut in Lubuntu 20.10.

First off, don’t mess with the LXQt shortcuts configuration file. It’s not known to be stable if you edit it by file alone. Instead, use the GUI.

Secondly, that path is not a file path. Basically, there are three ways to create a shortcut in LXQt:

1. Via a command, as with the default web browser command for xdg-open about:blank that is bound to CtrlAltB, which is technically a file path to /usr/bin/xdg-open with an argument of about:blank passed to it.
  2. Via a DBus message, which is really neat but unused by default.
  3. Via one of the built in “client” commands as in the one that you refer to.

The client commands should all come built in and you cannot remove them. You can disable them, you can change them, but you can’t remove them.

One other thing: if you change the definition for the Super_L to something else (this is the client command to show/hide the menu, so you can’t remove it), then the Meta key (I refuse to refer to it in some Microsoft-specific way) can be used in the OpenBox configuration.

2 Likes

that is not true; I tried Meta instead of W in .config/openbox/lxqt-rc.xml, but it did not work;
just try it yourself in Lubuntu 20.10

As I said, you must FIRST remove the Super_L definition in LXQt shortcuts in order for that to work.

Oh, and also, in OpenBox parlance, they use W to refer to the Meta key, just as they use C to refer to the Ctrl key.

Why not just use the GUI tool under “Preferences → LXQt Settings → Shortcut Keys”?

Super easy, and you can add commands as you like.

4 Likes

That’s a very good suggestion but there are things that would be hard if not impossible to do there than you can do in the OpenBox configuration. Remember that OpenBox is the window manager and is not part of LXQt.

2 Likes

I don’t want to derail this, but I don’t understand why shortcut keys should interact with the window manager. I’d expect them to interact with the desktop. As a relative newbie, I’m missing something here, sorry.
What exactly do you need extra for OpenBox?

1 Like

For all the things that deal with windows and window management. Check the docs.

1 Like

Terse. Never mind, forget my question.

2 Likes

It’s a question that ultimately has a rather extensive answer, which is why I offered the answer that is most complete. Though I didn’t write much about it, the answer is all there.

Anyways, to make it a little more obvious, an example would be maximizing a window. LXQt can’t do anything with that.

2 Likes

Good example, Thanks. I get the idea.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.