Trouble Loading Tor on 20.04

I’m having trouble loading Tor in Lubuntu 20.04. This is my first time loading Tor and Lubuntu on an Acer Aspire E1-510. I have referred to the Tor user manual for Ubuntu but seem to be missing something straight forward. I’m wondering if something simple or obvious changed for the 20.04 ver.?

What kind of trouble are you having loading tor?

You do not mention it.

Examples:
Slow speed.
It does not load.
It takes a long time to load.

My personal experience is that tor sometimes takes long time to load.

Greetings.

2 Likes

I can’t get it to load. It tells me “Temporary failure resolving ‘archive.ubuntu.com’” then “E: Failed to fetch …” Three times where the final phrase is “Temporary failure resolving ‘archive.ubuntu.com’”.

Sorry, I should say I can’t get it to install…

That reads like a networking issue, which maybe just temporary like the warning says.

If I ping that address, I get a reply; do you? and is the address an expected Canonical IP address? or something that has been changed on your network?

guiverc@d960-ubu2:/de2900/lubuntu_64$   ping -c 1 archive.ubuntu.com
PING archive.ubuntu.com (91.189.88.142) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from aerodent.canonical.com (91.189.88.142): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=319 ms

--- archive.ubuntu.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 319.239/319.239/319.239/0.000 ms

If you’re on a workplace/school site, you may have filtered networks that are blocking the traffic, particularly downloads of packages. If you’re using wifi, it may just be interference (no fridges, microwaves etc between you and the access point?)

Thanks. You’re probably right about it being a network issue. Will work on that and let you know.

Guiverc; Thanks for your comment

It seems to be a network issue. I was able to get the Tor Browser to open and initially connect to a Tor relay but then it failed to go beyond that, after saying something like “it may take several minutes” and then came up with the msg that “Tor failed to establish a Tor network connection”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.