System Config files

When working w/ system .conf files there is a example section that tells you to (uncomment) to apply or enable settings.
What is a (comment)?
Is it the [;] or [#] sign at the begining of the line?

Depends on the background of where the package (program) came from, and what standards exist in that background.

For some conf (config) files it is a “#”, for others it’s a “;”.
GNU have one standard (like – options for GNU commands; ps -elf), BSD tend to to use a different (ps aux).

In my opinion, it’s the problem with a system that has roots back to 1969/1970 (ie. a unix like system), it has lots of history & different standards to developers to follow/choose from.

As long as there are comments already in the file, it’s usually easy to spot them. I’ve used ‘make-it-easy’ tools that modified .conf files for you using a gui & had them write back the .conf file with all comments erased (swat I think though possibly that issue was corrected?), once I discovered that I never used it again.

Thanks!
So in theory, If you want to activate a line, remove the comment symbol?
And if you want to stop a line from running or turn it off, Add the comment symbol right?

Yep, in 95-98% of cases that’s probably correct.

I couldn’t think of any examples, but I’d bet there is some program/developer who created defaults so when you commented out a line it’d make no difference (ie. you comment out a "#something=5" leaving no value for something, it made no difference as the program didn’t find a something= line, so set it to the value that was in the comment anyway (ie. adding # to make a comment made no difference in my stupid example).

It’s better to assume nothing, check before you leap every time.

though breaking things is fun :slight_smile: as is fixing them

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.