Sort desktop icons

Hello i dont understand why the rightclick ‘sort files’ function on Desktop can’t do anything.

What Lubuntu version are you using? Have you tried logging out and logging in again?

1 Like

one thing I’ve noticed is that it only seems to apply to desktop apps. It does not seem to apply to web apps or links you have on your desktop.

1 Like

Hi it’s 20.04 . Non i haven’t tried this.

Desktop apps, like what? And, what about folders, and of course yes w about links etc…

i like L-ubuntu but i don’t get the fact that a ‘right-click button option’ such as ‘sort things’ on my desk is non-functionnal? … Thanks, in advance

My version is Lubuntu 0.14.1 , anyone has encountered the problem ? Thanks

If you go to the Desktop directory using the file manager (i.e. PCManFM-Qt) and try to sort from there, does it do anything that way?

You mentioned you’re on release 20.04 LTS and I believe you’re saying you have LXQt 0.14.1?

The sort files menu is defining the way, how pcmanfm-qt should sort the files (everything is a file). If all files are sorted according to the defined rules, there is no visible effect.

If you manually move a file with the mouse, the file is then marked as a “fixed symbol” and pcmanfm-qt will not move it around.

As an example you can have three files on the desktop:

test04
test03  => marked as fixed
test05

pcmanfm-qt is only sorting (by filename, ascending order) the files test04 and test05, but is placing them around the file test03, because test03 is manually marked as fixed by the user, which expects in all cases the file file03 at exactly that position on the desktop.

Removing the “fixed” flag (right click on file test03) should sort the files now correctly.

I did not test it on an older release.

1 Like

Hello, @That_Random_Guy . “If you go to the Desktop directory using the file manager (i.e. PCManFM-Qt) and try to sort from there, does it do anything that way?” yes . “You mentioned you’re on release 20.04 LTS and I believe you’re saying you have LXQt 0.14.1?” yes

Hi, @apt-ghetto Yes, you’re right. I tried to put all files in a folder. Then cut them paste them on desk. Then the sorting works. So i can deduce from that > i have not to move my files if i want them to respond to sorting . That’s useful to know!
Is there a way to ‘unflag’ as fixed any file with, like, a command ?

1 Like

I think, there is no command for that (but I may be wrong).

Under ~/.config/pcmanfm-qt/lxqt there should be a file desktop-items-0.conf and maybe also more or a with slightly different file name.
You could edit that file and logout/login.

You can select all files and first check the flag and then uncheck the flag.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.