Should I install Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Jammy Jellyfish?

I’m a new member here and this is my first post. Greetings to all.

I want to install Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) in my little Lenovo 11 inch (screen) laptop.

Here is the specs:

Device name: Lenovo
Processor: Intel Celeron N4120 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.80 GB usable)
Hard Drive: 117 Gigabytes
Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
11e 5th Gen (Type 20LR, 20LQ) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20LQ

I was running Windows 11 Home Edition Version 22H2. It was not cutting the mustard. It was way too slow doing everything.

I have already downloaded Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) ISO and installed it on my thumb drive and even booted it. I was little surprised that even from the thumb drive my Bluetooth worked and recognized my ThinkPad mouse instantly. But of course you can’t use the Wi-Fi until it’s installed and by then it’s too late to go back (easily).

Here is my problem. I’m worried about the Wi-Fi not working or not being usable along with the camera and speakers etc. So am I worrying unnecessarily or does Lubuntu recognize the hardware OK on new/newer PC’s? My computer is about 6 months old. Do you think I’ll have hardware issues? I was able to find my Windows 11 key and I backed up all my drivers just in case I have to re-install it but I really don’t want to.

I’ve used Linux Mint before on an old HP Pavilion and it worked OK but the Wi-Fi never did work right. And about 4 months ago I bought another Lenovo Linux certified ThinkPad 16 and I’m running Kubuntu and I’m really loving it. So I have some Linux experience but I’m no expert.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

I don’t know your hardware, but the best way to know is the boot Lubuntu in live mode & have a look at your hardware.

Lubuntu is just a Ubuntu system, so whatever works with Ubuntu Desktop, or any other Ubuntu flavor will also work with Lubuntu. The major difference is just what is installed by default on our ISO.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has had three kernel stack options available with install media.

Lubuntu 22.04 & 22.04.1 media used and installed with the GA kernel stack by default; ie. 5.15 kernel, and 5.15 kernel modules (aka drivers).

Lubuntu 22.04.2 media was the the first which installed with the HWE kernel stack using the 5.19 kernel & its kernel modules (aka drivers). The 5.19 kernel was from Ubuntu 22.10 which is now EOL (thus a 22.04 system using that kernel will get upgraded post-install)

Lubuntu 22.04.3 media which is about to be released; uses the 6.2 HWE kernel which is the replacement kernel for those using the HWE kernel stack; it being from Ubuntu 23.04.

You can have both GA & HWE kernel stacks installed (with few exceptions such as some nvidia kernel modules preventing it), the kernel stack means you change kernel modules in use (kernel modules being what are commonly called drivers).

I did some searches on support with your listed wireless AC 9260 chipset, and found a number of users having problems, but also users who had problems that were quickly resolved.

If I wanted to see how it performed, I’d boot live media and give it a try; but I’d also try the latest media (22.04.3) using the 6.2 kernel stack you’ll be using (5.19 on 22.04.2 is EOL already) OR find older media & try the 5.15 GA kernel stack option (I could find media online with this stack, but not Lubuntu).

There are other differences between Lubuntu ISOs and some other flavors; some ISOs include OEM kernel stacks which can be installed instead, as well as 3rd party closed-source kernel modules (nvidia drivers etc) which Lubuntu ISOs do not include on our ISOs (thus our ISOs are smaller), but post-install all these can be added to a Lubuntu system; the only difference being what is installed by default.

I would expect identical results between Kubuntu & Lubuntu though; or even with Ubuntu Desktop. Alas I have no experience with your hardware.

2 Likes

when you say “of course you can’t use the Wi-Fi until it’s installed”, that would be a problem then. It “should” work from a live boot, what error is it giving or exhibiting?

You could wait for 22.04.3 which has a newer kernel.

guiverc, thanks for your detailed and helpful response. I did what you said but I was able to change the monitors resolution which helped me because I had a hard time seeing it, in the highest resolution, at first. I was able to get Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, speakers, microphone and camera working, or it was working out of the box. In short everything worked right from the stick or live as you say.

After that I’ll I needed to do was to format the drive. It gave me some issues because it was seeing the Windows partition and I couldn’t delete it. So I rebooted and this time it game me the option of erasing the drive and reformatting it and this is what I did but without the swap file option. It installed in about 12 minutes. I rebooted and everything is working great and it is so much faster than Windows 11. You gave me some good pointers and I appreciate the help. Cheers!

2 Likes

Gavinccc, your right. I read somewhere that wi-fi wouldn’t work from the stick but that was bad information. It was working. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

BasilCat, everything ended up working fine. I didn’t know that I would have everything working right from the stick! Thanks for the response.

What swap you use will depend on your hardware. As most of the hardware I use is old & resource-limited; I get a huge benefit from using an appropriate amount of swap (and that is more than the default 512MB). As such I’ll provide a link to our Swap FAQ, which contains link(s) to creating/changing a swapfile too.

2 Likes

guiverc, I have read the pros and cons about swap files and one thing is sure, there can be no consensus. I have heard (and this is what I thought) that swap files are mainly used for older computers and newer computers didn’t need them. I reached this conclusion by reading the blogs on the internet and seeing what other people were saying.

I have since then changed my mind (again just by Googling) and seeing what other people are saying. I now believe that a swap file can result in an speed increase improvement resulting in faster load times especially for the larger programs like LibreOffice.

Now the question is what am I going to do? Right now I have the standard 2 partitions that was automatically set up when I installed Lubuntu.

I don’t want a swap partition nor do I think I need a swap partition (again I could be wrong). I think that a swap file however could be beneficial if it is set up correctly. But if I did that I wouldn’t be able to use the make use of the btrfs file system which self regulates itself and fixes data corruption (bad sectors).

So is going to be swap file or btrfs? Both of these are new to me but I think I’m going to try the swap file first. Now I just have to figure out the correct size.

Many thanks again to guiverc for all the help, suggestions and useful links, all of which I have read and bookmarked.

1 Like

Well JeffRedd. Welcome to Lubuntu! Like You. I’m New too! If You are having trouble with Your Lenova with Wi-Fi and other OSes. Could it be Hardware and Not the OS or its Drivers Issue. If So You might by a Wi-Fi Dongle or Chip for Your USB2 or USB3 Ports. If that’s the Problem.

Powerbase, thanks for your response. I’m not having issues with this new little Lenovo ThinkPad 11e Gen 5 (11") which I bought about 6 months ago for $169.00 brand new from Lenovo. The one I had some issues with was an old HP Pavilion dv7, which is about 15 years old and I had Linux Mint installed. I had some problems with the Wi-Fi speed going up and down and it was a known issue for that model. I just didn’t want to spend the money to upgrade the built in Wi-Fi card.

The new ThinkPad 11 runs great now and everything works and it runs so much faster than it did when I was running it with Windows 11 installed. Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.