Short ‘crack’ noise of hdd on shutdown

I have dual boot. No problem on Windows shutdown, no crack sound.
But on Lubuntu there is short crack sound, like it suddenly stopped power supply. What would be the reason? Cause such sudden power-offs may decrease lifespan of my hdd drive.

If it may help you… The same issue was with external hard drive if you do not eject it and instead shutdown the system. I managed to avoid it by using next commands:
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb
udisksctl power-off -b /dev/sdb
No any crack sound after this code and external drive can be removed.

Can I reach such result with my primary hdd on shutdown?

I’m not sure how much help you’ll get with 18.04. It’s EOL and so it is no longer supported here.

2 Likes

As KGIII mentioned, you likely won’t receive much support for anything specific to Lubuntu 18.04 release.

Fundamentally, to me it sounds more like a hardware thing than a software thing. Incidentally, my laptop also kinda makes a popping noise when I shutdown. I’ve had my laptop for 8 years now and it’s really only dying due to other reasons… hard drive is working fine considering its age and abuse.

I guess if the mods/admin feel like this fits here some other folks can chime in on what you’re describing but I would also like to point you to Ubuntu’s support forum:
https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=327&s=163d40c8abe406ed00ee55225ab32a3e

Good luck! :wink:

1 Like

Is how if Lubuntu shudown is very fast that the disk does the act fast too and windows doing much more time the disk is ready to shutdown more slowest and thus not “crack” sound.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.