Serious error when starting lubuntu

My computer says there is a serious error, I sent the error to the developers, this is the error message when I try to open package manager:

“E: Malformed entry 52 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.”

Do you have any idea what the error might be?

Software store opens but does not work properly either, it does not show any apps… I tried to install wine previously maybe that is the issue?

Post a copy of your /etc/apt/sources.list file and someone will probably be able to tell you what to fix in it. It’s a pretty straightforward text document and you can probably just spot and fix the error while checking it with ‘sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list’.

1 Like

There is an error in line 52 of the file (/etc/apt/sources.list). We cannot see the file so you need to correct it.

It’ll likely have been done by an edit done, or command executed that caused edit and incorrectly changed the file; refer to @KGIII response (ie. provide file so we can look & help you correct it)

Hi, thanks for your response, it seems I managed to correct it :smiley: I managed to remove Wine somehow and now everything works :slight_smile:

Though I do not understand how I can install the latest version of Wine. In the software depository the version of Wine is an older version and it works extremely poorly, however on the WineHQ website I cannot find a .deb installation file. (I am fairly new to Linux so I do not really understand command lines, etc.) I would want to install Microsoft Office 2007. I just find the tar.xz file there and I do not know how to install it…

I have no experience with office2007 on *nix sorry.

I’d likely explore askubuntu, ie. https://askubuntu.com/search?q=office+2007+ for clues

A tax.xz is a tarball, or compressed file (like .zip is), the tar tells you’d it’s many files combined into one (for easy saving to other media including tapes) and the .xz indicates the type of compression used (gz=gzip, bz=bzip etc). Myself I expand the file & explore contents (though some utilities can use files directly; eg. you can explore using the file manager pcmanfm-qt)

If you need to edit some docs that were created in Office 2007, you might want to give LibreOffice a try. It is a very capable Office software suite that runs natively in Linux. I would say that LibreOffice is at least 95% MS Office compatible, and in most use cases is closer to 99%.

4 Likes

Thanks, I am using Libreoffice to print documents (Cannot print from Microsoft Office). It is good for basic stuff imo but Microsoft Office is way better. I managed to install it successfully since :slight_smile: Even though Microsoft totally messed up Windows and people only use it because it is forced on them at each new computer purchase, Microsoft actually did an excellent job with Microsoft Office and there is no real alternative to it.

1 Like

I don’t think Microsoft is forcing people to use their products, rather people are forcing it to stay on top of it.
I personally use all the open source products I could find and it’s amazing.
Libreoffice is way better because the libreoffice community is not forcing users to pay for using it. All I need to do is adjust and give time.
The rest depends on me, what I want and how I want something!

2 Likes

I was referring to the “Windows tax”. Each time you purchase a computer there is a preinstalled Windows on it. If there wasn’t preinstalled Windows on those computers then I think way fewer people would use Windows and way more people would use Linux. I am a big fan of Linux, I think it is far better than Windows but Microsoft Office is still way better and way more user friendly than Libreoffice. Libreoffice is not bad I agree but it is difficult to switch once you are used to Microsoft Office. I am specifically talking about Word, which is way easier to use than Libreoffice writer. But in Excel for example I agree you don’t need Microsoft Office, the Libreoffice alternative is just as good as Excel.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.