Samsung XE500C13 (CELES) | PulseAudio making a horrible sound after 5 minutes of playing Audio

Version of lubuntu:
lubuntu 22.04 LTS | jammy

Hardware Information:
Samsung XE500C13 (CELES) | Intel Atom x5-E8000 @ 1.04GHz | 4GB RAM

Currently I’m using a Samsung XE500C13 Chromebook, when trying to play anything with audio for 5 minutes or longer, a horrible audio sound comes out of the window until it’s closed. This mainly happens when using PulseAudio, but when using the other audio source, ALSA, it just mutes the audio when it bugs out. I’m unable to find any fix on it online, as looking for this specific model of Chromebook on this specific Ubuntu distro is scarce.

Quick Video of the issue: PulseAudio
Video (Website: e-z.host)

Quick Video of the issue: PulseAudio
Video (Website: YouTube)

Update:
Using ALSA as the sound method now recreates the same horrible sound as PulseAudio. Bummer.

I’m not finding much of anything myself for this model. My initial guess without looking for more generic problems with pulseaudio would be that the driver is causing problems.

I’m assuming if the audio worked fine before on chromeos and assuming the problem persists even with the live USB/DVD for Lubuntu, it might be a driver thing since it’s not just pulseaudio having the problem.

This terminal command might work to show some audio devices for others to look at:

aplay -l

You can paste the output back here.

I didn’t test enough on the live USB/DVD for lubuntu to see if it occurs on there too, but I can say that audio worked perfectly fine on ChromeOS.

I’ll paste what happens when I use “aplay -i” in a moment.

1 Like

Results after using aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: rt5650 [sof-bytcht rt5650], device 0: PCM (*) []
card 1: rt5650 [sof-bytcht rt5650], device 1: PCM Deep Buffer (*) []
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0```
1 Like

FWIW, CELES Chromebooks are known for being notoriously tricky to get working with anything other than chromeOS. This is most certainly on-topic here, but you may find more help by going to the Chromebook-to-ultrabook geeks on Reddit - Dive into anything .

3 Likes

It’s a good thing that I’m only gonna be running Ubuntu or lubuntu on the Chromebook, but thanks for redirecting me somewhere to get more help (i guess?) I’ve made a reddit thread for help there and I’ll see what solutions/replies I get.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.